Remington model 770

nbell

Thinking of picking up the youth model 770 in .243 for my son. He will be 8 next season and ready to start hunting. I have a model 70 in .257 Roberts but it is still too big for him. I have always been happy with Remington's stuff right out of the box. Curious if anyone had experience with this rifle. I really like the price tag compared to the Howa and a few others, especially since he is only going to shoot it a few years then it will probably go into the safe for who knows how long.

Thanks for any advice.

Don't buy a 770 in any caliber, as they are junk and that's why the price tag is what it is. Remington makes them cheaply (plastic parts, etc.) to compete with some of the other brands like Savage and the quality has suffered. I have heard so much negative about them on hunting websites and in looking at them I can see why. They even have the older 700 Walker trigger in them that was replaced by a new design several years ago because of many deaths and 1000s of people having them go off without touching the trigger. I'd take a hard look at a Savage for him if it was my kid and his first gun in either a .243, 25-06, or 7mm-08. The latter is becoming very popular for kids and women, as well as guys of stature, for deer and even elk with a good bonded bullet and proper shot selection within a reasonable range.

I agree with Top Gun. I hunted with a guy who had one and was there when it accidently discharged. In addition to Savage, take a look at the new Ruger. It's priced about the same and is made in the US.

Agree. The 770 line is very cheap in every sense of the word. Bolt is sloppy, trigger is junk, mostly all plastic. The price is low, but, so is the quality.

I'd suggest looking at the Howa youth combo. It comes with a youth and adult stock so he can grow into it.

My Savage Axis in .243 is also cheap and plasticky, but it shoots under an inch easily. And despite what you hear, the really crappy trigger can be tuned/lightened in about 5 minutes. If you're looking for an entry-level (cheap) .243, try the Axis.

Emrah

I picked up a Savage Axis and I'm very happy with it. My first was a 25-06 and I liked it so much I picked up a 30-06. They are pretty sturdy and very accurate. The only downside is that they don't have the accu-trigger.

Agreed John. Not to thread-jack, but I "tuned" mine by cutting the trigger return spring. I cut just enough coils off of it so it is not compressed at all when static (trigger is forward). It helped out the trigger pull immensely. Instead of a "what-the-@#$" trigger, it's a "Hmmm, not TOO bad" trigger.

Emrah

P.S. Also agree with Olman357 though. If you can find a Stevens 200, it's is a VERY nice rifle for cheap.

I bought one in 7mm08 for my wife to use back when we first started dating and while I do agree it might be not be anywhere near as pretty as my 700 and the bolt is definitely not smooth like the 700 It will out shoot any rifle I own. I think the trigger is really smooth but that's just me. Took my antelope with it this year at 364 yards I have been contemplating getting another one for my kids but haven't decided yet

I picked up a Savage Axis and I'm very happy with it. My first was a 25-06 and I liked it so much I picked up a 30-06. They are pretty sturdy and very accurate. The only downside is that they don't have the accu-trigger.
I've never had one of these end hand. Is the magazine plastic?

FWIW, for about the same amount of money one can get a Stevens 200 which is similar, but can take many of the after market options available for Savages.

+1 on Savages. They have a lot going for them...one of them not being the price. They get the job done, are very accurate, very comfortable, and built to last, and last but not least...Made in the USA.

Marlin X7 series rifles. Best bang for the buck in the cheap rifle category. Can be had for 300 dollars or less if you catch a good sale. Very accurate and made in the USA.

Glad I saw this, cause I plan on picking one up in .223 for coyotes

Anyone know the difference between the Axis and the Axis XP? Couldn't really tell by looking at their website.

Don't waste your money on a 770 my brother had the bolt handle break off while he was ejecting a case

I'd look for a used Model 7. It's just me, but I'm not really impressed with any of the new "entry level" rifles. I know they serve a purpose, but I am partial to the 700/7 foundation for a rifle. mtmuley

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back