MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Remington Core-Lokt for deer

There's no lead ban in Colorado. I'll either use an all lead round ball in traditional muzzleloaders or an all lead conical (NoExcuses) in an inline muzzleloader.

Cool. I am still wondering what the difference was in the 90s when I stopped using them and now. Because now I hear something different experiences from others. At that time there was a push to nonleaded ammo and shot in shells. All the sudden a bunch of full lacketed boattails showed up in the coreloct boxes I was buying.

Colorado still recommends we don't use lead and have a small section in the brochure about it. They know better to try to make it law. They push the muzzleloader season as being primitive and can't also say we can't use lead.

Cool. I am still wondering what the difference was in the 90s when I stopped using them and now. Because now I hear something different experiences from others. At that time there was a push to nonleaded ammo and shot in shells. All the sudden a bunch of full lacketed boattails showed up in the coreloct boxes I was buying.
You really should stop propagating disinformation.

Hello, I am wondering if you can use Remington Core-Lokt for deer, specifically muleys. I have a 30-06, .300 win mag, and a 7mm remington. What is the maximum range with each of those rounds, with Remington Core-Lokt ammo? I am open for suggestions, let me know. Thanks

Out of curiousity, what would make you think a remington Core-Lokt wouldnt kill deer? Did someone tell you they wont? I will say that i grew up shooting Core-Lokt ammo and killed tons of animals with it. Its just cheaper ammo, your fine to 400 yards with cheaper ammo if you yourself are capable of shooting 400 yards and hit a paper plate. SO yes use it if thats what you want. Of course there is better ammo. But do you need better ammo to kill deer....no you dont.

Carson.............Since you're planning to use the Accubond for elk. I'd just go ahead and use it for deer too. One load sighted in and used for all game is my way.

Not that the core-lokt won't work. It will. It's just that one load for everything is easier.

Reactions: LCH
Colorado still recommends we don't use lead and have a small section in the brochure about it. They know better to try to make it law. They push the muzzleloader season as being primitive and can't also say we can't use lead.

They are trying to do that with fishing at least when I lived there. They were trying to get rid of those split shot weights and those made of lead.

I've shot most all of my deer with a .243 with corelokt bullets. None of them ran far if they didnt just drop.

With my 7mm win mag they pretty much dropped too and I am pretty sure I used Core-Lockts. Don't have that rifle anymore because the barrel cracked and I never figured out what the cause was and I was shooting factory loads. I was taking 500-600 yard shots and dropping deer with those ones.

Out of curiousity, what would make you think a remington Core-Lokt wouldnt kill deer? Did someone tell you they wont? I will say that i grew up shooting Core-Lokt ammo and killed tons of animals with it. Its just cheaper ammo, your fine to 400 yards with cheaper ammo if you yourself are capable of shooting 400 yards and hit a paper plate. SO yes use it if thats what you want. Of course there is better ammo. But do you need better ammo to kill deer....no you dont.

Oh they did alright not is not the issue. The batch I was shooting before I left Colorado penetrated through both sides of the lungs with little to no expansion. I should of shot some into a silicone block so I could recover it and take it in. Instead I went back to ballistic tips that damaged some meat but at least I was not having to track one down more than 50 yards.

And it was not so much deer that I had problems with. The animal that I had problems with was antelope and elk at ranges of about 100-150 yard. I got full penetration but little expansion so I ended up trailing antelope into neighboring sections hoping that property owner would let me retrieve it and when I did, I had a lung shot but it went all the way through with small exit hole.

I shot a cow elk in the lungs and retracted the bullet when I pulled out the lungs and the bullet was nearly intact with minimal expansion. I tracked that cow nearly a quarter mile but she did die and leave a good blood trail.

My problem come to think of it could of been bad factory loads. That happens, especially if you buy it from Walmart which I did at the time. If the velocity is low, the expansion is probably going to be low. That I did not think about at the time. I just got tired of it and went back to the ballistic tips I always had good luck with. I really regret not pursuing it when I had the chance and sending the bullets along with the stuff on the package label to the factory. I don't doubt what people say supporting Core-Lockts, it just was not my experience so I stopped uising them.

So Remington sells their bum ammo to Walmart?

That is a possibility. To my knowledge though, Walmart no longer sells ammo. I am not sure. Walmart is not known for quality and they put strict specifications on anything they buy that forces suppliers to back off on a lot of their QA checks. I recently bought a microwave from Walmart and should of walked by then because all the boxes on the shelf showed shipping damage. I got it home and had to take it back because it would not even turn on. First replacement one I got after waiting in the customer service line for a half hour also had shipping damage. It would turn on but the turn table would not turn at all. Got another replacement and that time the turntable was missing so I took that one back and told them I wanted a refund. I went to Kmart and bought it and box was in perfect condition and so was the microwave.

As for ammo, I now purchase ammo at Sportsmans Warehouse almost exclusively but use ballistic tips and never had the problem with those.

Let me add to this. Frist off most of my life I thought core- lokt was the best ammo you could get. I did not know that we needed all of the new stuff. Every thing I pulled the trigger on in 3006 and my 7mag came home with me.
To the point I want to ask. Is there any thing in North America that the core Lok has not killed a dozen times over....

Let me add to this. Frist off most of my life I thought core- lokt was the best ammo you could get. I did not know that we needed all of the new stuff. Every thing I pulled the trigger on in 3006 and my 7mag came home with me.
To the point I want to ask. Is there any thing in North America that the core Lok has not killed a dozen times over....

A round ball has killed everything in North America. Would you use one? It's not a good argument.

I've used Core-Lokt on about 15 deer. It used to be my go-to bullet in my 30-06. 150 gr and 165 gr. They worked fine. Some broadside behind the shoulder, some hit the shoulder. All expanded and did what they were supposed to do. Even the ones I bought from Walmart. Some bullets I recovered, some went through. Some bullets did shed a fair amount of weight, just like any non-bonded cup/core bullet, and some looked like text book mushrooms. My buddy still shots them exclusively in his 25-06 and they have worked great for him.

I’ve only ever hunted deer with core lokts, all less than 100 yard shots. Worked great for me. Not till I’ve practiced shooting further I use Barnes.

I killed a ground squirrel with my 7mm win mag using core-lokts. Never found the body but Bits and pieces of the hide were scattered around where I shot it.

Last edited:
A round ball has killed everything in North America. Would you use one? It's not a good argument.
Well there is no reason I would not use a round ball. Given the right conditions. But I have never seen round ball the the caliber he ask about. Do they make round ball in 30-06 ,300wm,or 7mm mag. If they do sure I would use them. Like you said the to have killed everything in North America.
Now are there some things out there that will out preform cor-lok. Sure but that dose not make it a bad bullet.
Just like a 308 and a 300wm. The 300 hands down out preforms the 308. So that mean the 308 is no longer useful right.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtownsend
Back