Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Relocating: let the points go?

Do I?

• Total voters
Here's another good question. Per G&F regulations, nonresidents cannot enter the wilderness without a resident or a guide. If I, legally a resident, draw a nonresident tag per G&F regulations, do I have access to the wilderness?

Almost as fun of a question as "if i bring a ladder to a checkerboard unit...".
I would definitely call WGF and get that answer straight from the horses mouth. But the way I read it let's say you moved in September once you reached your 365 day residency requirement you could legally hunt the wilderness in Wyoming regardless of your tag being R or NR.

Not sure this is right....because if he is not a NR he can't buy points any longer and if you don't buy point for 2 years all of your points disappear I thought?

From the FAQ - Would this not apply?

• If a person fails to purchase a preference point during the preference point only application period for elk, deer or antelope for two (2) consecutive years, all accumulated points for that species will be lost.

I could be wrong but I don't believe non residents can apply with residents on a group application.
I remember looking it up but had my states mixed up. It was New Mexico resident can apply with NR. Whoops, good catch.

From NM FAQ

If I’m a resident does it hurt my chances if I apply with a nonresident?
Yes. Because there must be licenses available for all applicants on an application, applying with a nonresident is unwise for residents. They are essentially subjecting themselves to availability of a license for the nonresident in the 6% nonresident pool.

What is your residency anniversary date and how would that relate to the application dates for tags you want to apply for as a resident? If you represent yourself as a non-resident “for any purpose” in the year prior to applying for a tag as a resident, you might land in hot water. This would seem to include applying for hunting licenses as a non resident. I’d get clearance from G&F before guessing and screwing up your 1st year in the state.

6DBAEE4A-21EA-4FFD-B185-6E36405AA6C7.jpeg

Was I'm that exact situation 4 years ago, had 4 elk points and moved here. First year we doe/cow hunted to help get the lay of the land

Keep in mind for elk the app dates are very different for resident v non resident

What is your residency anniversary date and how would that relate to the application dates for tags you want to apply for as a resident? If you represent yourself as a non-resident “for any purpose” in the year prior to applying for a tag as a resident, you might land in hot water. This would seem to include applying for hunting licenses as a non resident. I’d get clearance from G&F before guessing and screwing up your 1st year in the state.

View attachment 256272
You are understanding wrong, he cannot represent as a resident of another state for any purpose for the year he is establishing residency.

For example, say he moves from MT to WY in July 1st, 2023. He already bought licenses in MT for 2023 as a resident, before he was aware of the move. He fished under a resident license and killed 2 turkeys and a bear under a resident license. He would not be able to apply for special tags in WY that have deadlines before July 1, 2024. He should be able to hunt on general tags, as those can be purchased after July 1st.

Applying for a NR tag in 2023 WY does not mean he is applying as a resident somewhere else, you can be a NR of every state, which he will have to be in 2023 to claim WY residency in 2024.

You are understanding wrong, he cannot represent as a resident of another state for any purpose for the year he is establishing residency.

For example, say he moves from MT to WY in July 1st, 2023. He already bought licenses in MT for 2023 as a resident, before he was aware of the move. He fished under a resident license and killed 2 turkeys and a bear under a resident license. He would not be able to apply for special tags in WY that have deadlines before July 1, 2024. He should be able to hunt on general tags, as those can be purchased after July 1st.

Applying for a NR tag in 2023 WY does not mean he is applying as a resident somewhere else, you can be a NR of every state, which he will have to be in 2023 to claim WY residency in 2024.
I’m a bit confused. This is ignorance talking because of assumptions but I didn’t think buying a resident tag elsewhere dictated when I could buy a resident tag in WY. If that was the case, I would be able to get a general tag in 2023 since I bought my last resident IL tag in September.

My current understanding is I have to prove 365 days of residency, which I intend to with my drivers license. Maybe you and I are saying the same thing but in a different language but I write because if there’s a chance I can get a general tag this year, I’d be a pretty happy dude.

Edit: moving to WY in February 2023 for reference. Pending weather……

I’m a bit confused. This is ignorance talking because of assumptions but I didn’t think buying a resident tag elsewhere dictated when I could buy a resident tag in WY. If that was the case, I would be able to get a general tag in 2023 since I bought my last resident IL tag in September.

My current understanding is I have to prove 365 days of residency, which I intend to with my drivers license. Maybe you and I are saying the same thing but in a different language but I write because if there’s a chance I can get a general tag this year, I’d be a pretty happy dude.

You would not be able to buy resident tags in WY in 2023. You would be able to purchase them in February/March 2024, after your 365 days of residency.

A better example than the one I originally posted would be you move from MT to Wyoming in September of 2023. Because you met the requirements of MT for a resident in 2023, you were able to hunt, as a resident, in MT for their general rifle season. This would preclude you from being able to hunt as a resident of WY for 2024, as the hunting under a resident in MT the previous year would apply to your red underlined statement.

You could apply for NR tags in Wyoming for 2023. That will have no bearing on your ability to purchase resident tags in 2024, as you are "building" your residency in 2023.

Clear as mud?

You would not be able to buy resident tags in WY in 2023. You would be able to purchase them in February/March 2024, after your 365 days of residency.

A better example than the one I originally posted would be you move from MT to Wyoming in September of 2023. Because you met the requirements of MT for a resident in 2023, you were able to hunt, as a resident, in MT for their general rifle season. This would preclude you from being able to hunt as a resident of WY for 2024, as the hunting under a resident in MT the previous year would apply to your red underlined statement.

You could apply for NR tags in Wyoming for 2023. That will have no bearing on your ability to purchase resident tags in 2024, as you are "building" your residency in 2023.

Clear as mud?
Yeah this makes more sense. I was hoping for a silver bullet but it’s still not all that bad.

The clock starts on residency when you move...so you'll be able to apply/purchase resident tags in February 2024.

The clock starts on residency when you move...so you'll be able to apply/purchase resident tags in February 2024.
So this year, if he applies for a nonresident elk licence in January while still
a resident of his old state, no problem. But what if after moving, he applies (again as a nonresident) for a pronghorn licence in May. Wouldn’t that start the clock again? Or can he apply as a non-resident while using his new Wyoming address (will
system allow that??) thus not “claiming residency” in any other state. It’s that second clause in the WY definition I posted that throws the monkey wrench in my understanding of it. Why is it in there, why was it not just left at one year of residency. I swear every state has weird wording of something that just seems intended to muddy what should be a clear statement.

So this year, if he applies for a nonresident elk licence in January while still
a resident of his old state, no problem. But what if after moving, he applies (again as a nonresident) for a pronghorn licence in May. Wouldn’t that start the clock again? Or can he apply as a non-resident while using his new Wyoming address (will
system allow that??) thus not “claiming residency” in any other state. It’s that second clause in the WY definition I posted that throws the monkey wrench in my understanding of it. Why is it in there, why was it not just left at one year of residency. I swear every state has weird wording of something that just seems intended to muddy what should be a clear statement.
He can apply as a NR while living in WY as he "builds" his residency. That will not affect his ability to attain residency. So, in your scenario, he could apply for both the elk and antelope draws as a NR in 2023 and attain his residency in 2024, after his 365 days at his WY residence.

The underlined red statement in that definition is to address the below bolded statement. In the below statement he would be "claiming residency elsewhere", thus, would not be eligible to purchase licenses in WY as a resident until 2025, whereas if he did not hunt in MT he could have claimed them in September 2024.

Clear as mud?

Keep in mind. In WYnyoure a resident, according to everyone EXCEPT game and fish, on day 1. You get drivers license, can vote etc

It is only game and fish that takes a year

That first year you apply for non resident tags using your Wyoming address

Keep in mind. In WYnyoure a resident, according to everyone EXCEPT game and fish, on day 1. You get drivers license, can vote etc

It is only game and fish that takes a year

That first year you apply for non resident tags using your Wyoming address
In that case, burn baby burn! (the points that is)

Your drivers license will not be what they go by for residency, don't count on just that. Get some bills in your name here, Wyoming address etc. Establish residency.

You could always get the licese and donate it to a disabled hunter.

Where in WY are you moving to? FWIW, I've lived here over 8 years and have never hunted wilderness yet. Freezer is full of pronghorn and elk every year. My advice is don't get hung up on the wilderness thing.

What is the residency requirements for hunting wilderness areas? The same as hunting tags? Maybe you could burn your points and then go hunt wilderness so that you're at least getting some benefit of living there your first year, and still getting use of your preference points

What is the residency requirements for hunting wilderness areas? The same as hunting tags? Maybe you could burn your points and then go hunt wilderness so that you're at least getting some benefit of living there your first year, and still getting use of your preference points
That's the question. Calling G&F shortly.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back