Reccomended rifle for shooting out to 1000 yards

Dvigil7018

I am in the market for a new rifle but am unable to decide on the make and model! I want another rifle in 300 Win Mag.
I have been looking at the following;
  • Browning Hells Canyon 300 win mag valued at about $1300 (online) Without Scope
  • Remington Sendero 300 Win Mag Valued at about $1500 (online) Without Scope
  • Howa Randy Newberg Edition 300 Win Mag valued at about $1600 (online) With 3.5-10x40 LEUPOLD VX-3i CDS Series

I don't mind an average/Heavy weighted rifle since most traveling is done on horseback with the ocasional short hikes.I Would consider a muzzlebreak if it was included with the rifle and in fact reduced recoil..Mostly looking for a Sub Moa long range rifle with in the same price range as these. Not looking to spend more than $2000 with a scope.

Thanks In Advance for any recommendations.

Last edited:
Welcome, without elaborating on some obvious questions my mind wanders to whenever someone asks this question. The most practical of those you listed to achieve your purpose would be the hells canyon. The sendero is capable but a bit heavier. The hells canyon brake is very effective, I did load build up for one chambered in 28 nos and it kicked like a .308.

Ps you could go with the randy Newberg, yea it’s only got a 24” tube and a 10 power. Just get closer...

Last edited:
How about this: don't try to shoot game out to 1000 yards. Its a bad idea.

Welcome to the forum though.
I agree. I Will not be shooting game at that distance but would like to practice at that to be more than capable of a 6-700 yard shot

Welcome, without elaborating on some obvious questions my mind wanders to whenever someone asks this question. The most practical of those you listed to achieve your purpose would be the hells canyon. The sendero is capable but a bit heavier. The hells canyon brake is very effective, I did load build up for one chambered in 28 nos and it kicked like a .308.

Ps you could go with the randy Newberg, yea it’s only got a 24” tube and a 10 power. Just get closer...
Great, thanks for the feed back. I don’t plan to shoot anything beyond 600 yards or so. The extra range is intended for practice at the range

Just out of morbid curiosity have you ever hit a target at 1000 yards... and what’s your current rifle?
I have the NRA range here in northern NM to practice at from 200 up to 900 yards. My current rifle was an X-bolt Browning Gold Medallion .300 win mag. I had a mishap with it and it’s unusable anymore

If you liked the X-bolt you had, then it seems the Hell's Canyon Speed would be a good choice. I don't own an X-bolt, but the few I have shot seemed like nice rifles. Muzzle brakes are effective at taming recoil, but sure add some bark to the shot. Welcome to the forum.

If you're only looking to hit targets at 1000 look at something in 6mm. 6 Creedmoor, 6x47 Lapua, 6XC, etc. If you look into what shooters in the Precision Rifle Series run it's overwhelmingly 6mm. They are low recoiling and shoot as flat as a 300 Win Mag with the modern high BC bullets we have these days. Also the lack of recoil and less muzzle blast are important to stave off developing a flinch.

Now as far as double duty for a longer range hunting rifle, you'll want more energy down range so look into your magnum chamberings. I personally won't attempt a shot on game over 400 yards. And that's if I can get set up solid as a rock. Otherwise I'd try and get closer. There's no worse feeling than wounding an animal and I won't risk it.

For my use, i tend to go for something in the used Savage family.
Or the used Ruger family.
Mauser family..
At those distances it's more shooter than rifle.
I too like to target shoot to 1,000 yards. All of my hunting has been 400ish yards and under. Mostly under.

And i've never needed anywhere near the recoil of a Win Mag.
I do shoot out to 1,000 yards with a 257 Roberts and a 250 Savage.
Depending on wind, usually looks more like patterns than groups, but i can hit the target.

I think you can get the BHC with a quicker twist

There’s a 338 on this forum for sale right now for $875. In the right hands that thing would shoot a grand all day long. Key words there are “in the right hands.”

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back