Rebel vs Trailboss

Which truck should I buy?

• 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • 2021 Chevy Sulverado 1500 Trailboss

Votes: 36 66.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tested a 23 a few weeks ago while mine was in the shop...wish I hadn't, very nice...great suspension, peppy 6.2, & of course, new car smell.
It's everything a guy could want in a truck, all from the factory. Usually to get what most people want, you're going pretty deep into aftermarket items to get there. This seems to hit the spot! Only beef is that it doesn't appear like they're going offer it in a crew cab with the 6.5' box. Which really isn't that big of a deal for the most part!

I got abtrailboss when they first came out. Traded it off for a new duramax. Loved the pickup, its got me through some crap roads one winter I was for sure gonna have to bust out a shovel. New ones especially with a 6.2 have gone to crap. Not the dealers gault but manufacturers of bearings etc.

Id get another one if that was the choice. Wont own a ram/dodge product,ever. I mean its emblem looks like a uterious and floupiam tubes

Of about a dozen 2015-2019 Silverado work trucks we had in the fleet, only 3 are still on the road. Those 3 are cumulatively on their 8th transmission. All blew the original at less than 100k miles. Also fuel pumps, water pumps, ac condensers, ac lines, cracked radiators....

You will NEVER see me at a Chevy dealership truck shopping

It's everything a guy could want in a truck, all from the factory. Usually to get what most people want, you're going pretty deep into aftermarket items to get there. This seems to hit the spot! Only beef is that it doesn't appear like they're going offer it in a crew cab with the 6.5' box. Which really isn't that big of a deal for the most part!
Yeah, even the ugly interior ... :p

I don't really think you can go wrong either way. Off Road they are probably pretty similar, although I think the Chevy has a little more clearance, but also longer wheelbase. Ram has a selectable locker and Chevy's is auto and you have to get some decent wheel slippage to get it to engage, so it is a bit harsh when it does. MPG probably goes to the Chevy. I have a 22 Ram 1500 with the Offroad group, which gets you everything the Rebel has except the front bumper and other styling things. I've got 16k miles on it and its been solid so far.

Of about a dozen 2015-2019 Silverado work trucks we had in the fleet, only 3 are still on the road. Those 3 are cumulatively on their 8th transmission. All blew the original at less than 100k miles. Also fuel pumps, water pumps, ac condensers, ac lines, cracked radiators....

You will NEVER see me at a Chevy dealership truck shopping
This has been our experience as well, except on a larger scale.

What is the issue with the 6.2? mtmuley
Alot of them arent making alot of miles till either a lifter collapsed or main bearing crapping out. The 5.3’s dont see to have as many issues. But in the end they are mass produced and will always have issues arise vs the ones built 10 years ago. Different quality control now

Alot of them arent making alot of miles till either a lifter collapsed or main bearing crapping out. The 5.3’s dont see to have as many issues. But in the end they are mass produced and will always have issues arise vs the ones built 10 years ago. Different quality control now
The 5.3's are the engines with issues, or any engine with AFM. It can be deleted. As far as main bearings, news to me. The 6.2 is used in vehicles all the way up to the LT5 Corvette. I'd buy a 6.2 truck without worry. mtmuley

Jokes aside the approach, breakover and departure angles are more important than different height off road. They are pretty terrible on the outback and not good on newer half ton trucks.

agreed. but then you come back to hunting specifically and realize that nobody ever needs any of that crap 98% of the time anyway.

The trail boss raptor and rebel are exceptions.

and to many's surprise this old 5 speed clunker shown below is also an exception. the stats that matter to offroading on these guys are impressive. and oddly, they get ignored by people looking for offroad capability. chevy and dodge have really sold the public on the idea that you can't please your wife unless you drive one, so, maybe that's why

this thing was 20 years ahead of the curve on the trail boss and it's like 1/3 of the price

1680816742343.png

Last edited:
My work truck is a 2015 GMC 1500, 5.3, and it has 118,000 miles of moderately tough use (being a natural resource manager). Haven't had one single problem with it. A guy in my office drives the same truck, except chevy. It has 65,000 miles on it and not an issue either. I guess we must be getting lucky.

My work truck is a 2015 GMC 1500, 5.3, and it has 118,000 miles of moderately tough use (being a natural resource manager). Haven't had one single problem with it. A guy in my office drives the same truck, except chevy. It has 65,000 miles on it and not an issue either. I guess we must be getting lucky.
We didn’t have as many fleet issues with the 2015 models. It was a year or two later the problems really started cropping up. I think the 18 and 19 years were the absolute worst.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back