PEAX Equipment

Question for Montana hunters

biggcatt88

My daughter really wants to kill a Antelope next year we live in california looking for a place were we can hunt deer and antelope not looking for someones secret spot just help in direction to start would even pay tresspass fee if reasonable if anyone has any info would be greatly appreciated thanks Robert

I would not drive through Wyoming to get to Montana if I wanted and antelope. Plus it is closer to Cali.

If antelope are your primary goal, I would definitely check into Wyoming. Montana's antelope numbers in region 7 (traditionally the hotspot) have plummeted in the past couple of years. If you are willing to pay a trespass fee I think there are a lot of areas in WY that are primarily private land that is easy to draw. Many of the harder to draw units have a lot more public land but may take a couple years to draw.

Wyoming's tag drawings happen a lot sooner than Montana's as well.

The biggest hurdle to your plan in Montana is going to be drawing the antelope tag. Odds are getting rough since 2011-2012, especially in the units with good numbers and/or access.

Yep, find a ranch in unit 23 of Wyoming for a reasonable access fee and then you can get the tag as a leftover in July because there are a ton of them left every year. In fact, if you have the cash you can kill two bucks and 4 does in that unit if you apply properly in the draw and then also buy leftovers. Most ranchers will even allow does to be taken for free in the unit after the first week or two of the season.

Thanks for the info we don't have any points in wyoming not sure if you can hunt deer at same time there?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back