Portable Chargers

bigbear045

Anyone have any recommendations for a portable charger for an iphone or camera. I use my iphone as a GPS when backpacking, hunting, and on float trips and am looking for a nice little charger that I can bring in my pack. Also, going on a 8 day Alaska float this summer so I am looking for one that will charge up my phone a few times.

After a little research it seems the units at best buy are more powerful and cheaper than REI's.

Thanks

Jeff

Go with a battery pack and stay way from the small solar charger/battery systems (I don't think the technology is there to efficiently charger and recharge as fast as a phone will discharge batteries)

I have and use 2 of them.

1 is a 5200 mAh version that cost less than $20 and will charge an iPhone about 1.5 times. I use this on day trips and stuff. It is small enough I can even stick it in my pocket with my phone while it is charging. It is plenty of juice for a day even if you are spending a lot of time on your phone. (I use it in my hunting blind).

I think this is the newer version of the one I have - http://www.amazon.com/Anker-bar-Siz..._feature_keywords_three_browse-bin:9244160011

The other is a 16,000 or 17,000 mAh version that cost around $40 and will charge an iPhone 7 or 8 times. I use this when I'm going to be off the grid for several days at a time. It is about 3 times the size of the small one and not something I can just stick in my pocket.

I think this is the one I use on longer trips - http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Generat..._1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1459356013&sr=1-2

Just look at the reviews on Amazon, there are always newer and better versions coming out, get the ones with lots of good reviews. Don't forget to use the HuntTalk Amazon banner.

Last edited:
I will say I bought one of those solar chargers thinking it was a good idea. I think you'd be better off throwing $40 bucks out the window than buying them. That being said I cannot remember the brand but I have a few similar to the ones above and they have served their purpose.

I will say I bought one of those solar chargers thinking it was a good idea. I think you'd be better off throwing $40 bucks out the window than buying them. That being said I cannot remember the brand but I have a few similar to the ones above and they have served their purpose.

I have had decent luck with the GoalZero Nomad system on several Alaska float trips. Even in light rain as long as there was some level of visibility to the sky. I got it for next to nothing on a Pro-Deal, and not sure I'd be as happy with it if I'd spent $120, but it does work. http://www.goalzero.com/p/79/guide-10-plus-solar-kit

It charges a phone, did nearly nothing for an iPad. It's more useful to charge the AA/AAA battery pack. We strap the solar panel to the top of the gear pile and have a charged pack of 4 AA batteries when we pull into camp (and then the pack can be used to charge a phone or the batteries can be used in handheld GPS/Headlamp, etc).

But the above responses are on point - for me the Solar is a backup if (when) I exhaust my 2-3 pre-charged "sticks" (all charged to full the night before leaving on the float plane - I agree that the Jackery posted above is a very good model. I've got a smaller version). As insurance, it's worth the weight trade of an extra stick of summer sausage for sure.

Last edited:
I suppose I should have made my post a bit more clear. Yes when the pack was fully charged from the start it would give me 2 charges or so. Once the charger went down took a long time to get it to charge a decent amount to the point where it would get dark out. And if you had your phone plugged in while the charger was "dead" and using the solar panel to charge I would lose ground on my phone battery. But I didn't spend the money for a top of the line it was lower to middle quality.

Anker E5 2nd gen at 16,000 is what I have. I would go with the 2nd one Randy11 mentioned (26,800) if I was starting fresh. Be sure to look at output amps as you shop.

Back