Caribou Gear Tarp

Packable treestand

mtmiller

Not much of a treestand guy anymore, but might need one for my next hunt.

Any recommendations on one I can pack a couple miles and only use every two or three years, ie. I don't want to spend much?

Summits are nice, and you can find them close to the $200 range depending on model. Not sure how good they would be on a long pack in, I think they average about 20 pounds.

+1 on summit, if you get the model with no rail in front save a few pounds also if your comfortable with that. whatever model you choose make sure you get the aluminum not their "classic or something" which is made of steel and will not last

It all depends how comfortable you need to be and for how long. You could pick up a decent one for $200. I use a Summit climber that is super comfortable but I usually sit all day and comfort s mandatory. Mellenium makes one like a chair I have used hat is really comfortable....:cool:

It all depends how comfortable you need to be and for how long. You could pick up a decent one for $200. I use a Summit climber that is super comfortable but I usually sit all day and comfort s mandatory. Mellenium makes one like a chair I have used hat is really comfortable....:cool:

I love my Millenium. The seat is almost too comfortable. I could easily sleep in it.

Lone Wolf stands are very light and packable. Their steps are designed to nest with the stand for easy packing.

The millennium is really comfortable but is a strap on type....not sure what your looking for...Lone Wolf are super light but super expensive an NOT comfortable.........hope this helps.....:cool:

In my opinion it comes down to bulk versus weight and hang on versus climber. Never used a climber and never had a manufactured stand. I make all my stands and most weigh around 16 to 18 pounds. Next thing to consider if you want a hang on stand is if you want the strength of chain or the convenience of a strap to secure it to the tree. All can be set up as a backpack to transport. Tree type is the next to consider climber versus hang on and weather tree steps or quick stix will be added for extra weight. Most manufacture hang on stands have a lot of movement when shifting your weight. Here is a prime example of how much a stand can flex. I weigh a little over 200lbs
th_Cap0002.mp4
[/URL][/IMG]

Checkout loc on they are super light. I have all lone wolf stands and they are nice, but the loc on stands are lighter.

The Lonewolfs are super solid/simple stands. I have packed mine quite a bit in my crew cab. I usually put some clothing between the stand and the sticks to keep things from clanking.

As for their comfort, they are plenty comfy for me, but I stand 2/3-3/4 of the time.

I use the Lone Wolf Sit & Climb. Mine is the old model that I bought about 10 years ago. It is SUPER quiet. But it was kind of expensive and if you're not planning on a stand to use daily it might not be worth it. But if you are looking for something to be super quiet it can't be beat.

Climber = Summit for me. Hang on = anything resonably priced assuming I'm under the listed weight limit... ;) Ones I use now are Big Game branded. Remember for hang ons, you'll need a way to get up the tree. The portable ladder/climbing sticks are nice, but not the most convenient to pack. Screw in steps are easier to pack, but more work to install. If you choose a hang on I highly suggest you get a lineman's strap for your safety harness. It allows two hands to be used in hanging the stand, making it much easier.

If you decide you want a harness that's fancier than what comes with the stand, I like the ones with disconnect leg strags like Hunter Safety Systems (or a multitude of others). They are easier to get into/out of. You could pack it in and put in on if you had much of a walk. The one's that come with the stand, while safe, are not something I'd want to try to wiggle my big arse into at o'dark thirty...

Summit Hawk and screw in steps. Or get a climber like the Openshot

Last edited:
Millennium M100 and a set of Lone Wolf sticks. Light, fast, and comfy! Not gonna fit the price qualification though.

Back