Opinions?

Only $100 for a guiding permit? It costs more than that for a one day permit to film a hunt on BLM lands.

I have only hunted out there a couple times but it seemed to me that there was more than enough hunting pressure already.

Send comments to Kathy Tribby at the Malta Field Office, 501 South 2nd St. E., Malta, MT 59538 or via email at [email protected] Comments must be received by Aug. 9. For more information, call Kathy Tribby at 406-654-5124.

Does he want to put in a hunting camp? That would be the only reason (right) that he would need a permit? He can day hunt the area anyway. At least that's what I was led to believe.

Commercial activity.

Are you saying that an outfitter can't use the area on a day trip without a commercial permit bought through the BLM?

So I'm guessing that he is applying for sole commercial outfitting use of the area, where none now exists. Right?

Last edited:
Are you saying that an outfitter can't use the area on a day trip without a commercial permit bought through the BLM?

So I'm guessing that he is applying for sole commercial outfitting use of the area, where none now exists. Right?

I will let miller speak to the local specifics, but will pass along what I know in regards to permitting. Any/all commercial endeavors on BLM lands require a permit. So, if he is day tripping to the area and charging a fee he'll need a permit.

In my experience, I have not seen BLM grant sole outfitting use of an area for hunting. My experience was in Utah. Often times there were multiple outfits permitted to guide in the limited entry units. FWIW...

That is our old neighborhood. Actually a little ways west, under the rimrocks, but went on family picnics (and butte climbs!) up there when I was just a kid. Maybe not even junior high.
So here's a heinously outdated article about the area. http://www.cowboyhvn.com/sweetgrass.htm
Actually it's mostly other parts of that site that need a torch taken to them, but instead that's up for the hay swather after lunch. And then a few welding rods, & we'll be rolling again. And shortly thereafter; through!!
Mowing, anyway...
As far as hunting... I think we antelope hunted there a time or two in a previous life.
My understanding is that the muley's at least used to be smart enough to mostly go Albertan once the bullets fly. The odd elk, and even back then there were a few moose.
Most of the public access is to Gold and West Buttes, and must admit I never poked around East Butte, perhaps not at all. The views off those other two are very hard to beat...

I'm not sure how long the permits can be issued for. My guess is that it is dealt with by a land use plan and therefore could be different from office to office. The ones that I was familiar with were issued for no more than one year as we did the NEPA for them annually.

I have no idea how many outfitters follow this rule.

Back