Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

What is your favorite mobile weather application?

Nameless Range

I suppose the answer to this might be different coming from different folks. I could imagine an app being more regionally predictive in some places than others, or folks valuing the user interface of an app vs another. The accuracy of different weather-predictors is something I have entertained documenting – as over time weather predictions could be compared to actual weather occurrences – but someone other than me will have to make time for that.

I’ve used Wunderground, which I liked, though it was not “lightweight” in terms of the bandwidth required to spin it up every time. Lately I’ve been using Accuweather, and increasingly feel like it is phoning it in with predictions and I don't particularly like the UI.

What mobile apps do you use to watch for weather and why do you like them? I can also imagine folks using more than one for different purposes. I’m open to trying a subscription-based app if it seems worth it.

I suppose the answer to this might be different coming from different folks. I could imagine an app being more regionally predictive in some places than others, or folks valuing the user interface of an app vs another. The accuracy of different weather-predictors is something I have entertained documenting – as over time weather predictions could be compared to actual weather occurrences – but someone other than me will have to make time for that.

I’ve used Wunderground, which I liked, though it was not “lightweight” in terms of the bandwidth required to spin it up every time. Lately I’ve been using Accuweather, and increasingly feel like it is phoning it in with predictions and I don't particularly like the UI.

What mobile apps do you use to watch for weather and why do you like them? I can also imagine folks using more than one for different purposes. I’m open to trying a subscription-based app if it seems worth it.
RadarScope with whatever weather app is on the mobile unit.

I use Weatherbug. My brother is a custom harvester that covers Oklahoma to the Canadian border from April into November every year and I got him to start using it several years ago; I think its still his favorite.

For planning back county trips I also use NWS website, nice to use the map option where you can click anywhere and see accurate forecasts.

I live in the mountains and I cross reference several sources.

Apple weather for general weather. They’re close until storms are involved.

If I want to get very close, I look at NOAA weather and use the map function to pinpoint the location.

I have a local cyber meteorologist that is very good. Better than the rest. I read his weather updates to make sure. He’s called several major storms the other two weather services missed.

I use accuweather. It’s ok, but like any weather prediction service, it is disappointing at times.

For monitoring rainfall at your house or a potential hunting location, Climate Fieldview is crazy accurate. It is geared toward agriculture, but i use it for hunting and as a personal rain gauge at my house.

I know it's not exactly what you're after but I like the Don Day forecasts/explanations for the rocky mountain west in general. I fill in details with noaa.

Weather channel a majority of the time. Sometimes weather underground if I know there's a legit weather station nearby, but some of those are really terrible for accurate wind readings.

NOAA does a graphical forecast that I love to look at. You can get cloud cover, precip, temp, wind, gusts, etc at any point on a map. Harder to get working on a mobile device but works well on a browser.

It’s at http://digital.weather.gov

Looks like I’ll have to look into the Flowx mentioned above, too!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back