Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Old truck appreciation (and high mileage)

2012 Tacoma base model. Have 199k miles on it with very few issues until a few weeks ago. I kept putting off the vibration coming from the drive shaft and so a unjoint gave out and sheared the yoke. I finished putting a whole new driveshaft in today. The horn quit working a while back and I need to fix that for registration purposes.
The horn on mine took all of five minutes to replace. I got whatever Amazon said was the loudest. I was hoping for “poop your pants” loud but it’s nowhere close.

The horn on mine took all of five minutes to replace. I got whatever Amazon said was the loudest. I was hoping for “poop your pants” loud but it’s nowhere close.
I’m still diagnosing the problem. I replaced the fuse today, but no dice. Would be cool to have the “low rider” jingle.

I’m still diagnosing the problem. I replaced the fuse today, but no dice. Would be cool to have the “low rider” jingle.
The real ballers go with La Cucaracha, just FYI.

Not saying it’s necessary the problem with yours, but have you checked the horn unit itself? I’ve had two of them buggers rattle themselves into not working in the last 80k miles or so. Found out the first one was dead when some dumb dumb using their phone swerved into my lane. Fortunately I didn’t get got.

The real ballers go with La Cucaracha, just FYI.

Not saying it’s necessary the problem with yours, but have you checked the horn unit itself? I’ve had two of them buggers rattle themselves into not working in the last 80k miles or so. Found out the first one was dead when some dumb dumb using their phone swerved into my lane. Fortunately I didn’t get got.
I haven’t checked that yet. I need to hurry up and fix it because my registration has been out since December……so I went fishing today instead. 😂

Noticed half of my front license plate is gone, ripped off in the brush I suppose. I did catch a few rainbows though.

I bought this 1998 GMC last year couldn't, say no to the price. Took a little over a day of detailing the inside and doing a paint correction but got her looking good for the age. I've enjoyed driving it way more than my newer GMC. If anyone has any tips or tricks to get the top of the cab lights working let me know. Not sure i want to start tearing apart the truck just to fix them but that might be the next option. Fuses and bulbs are all good, guessing its wiring somewhere.

Attachments

• 20220527_160442.jpg
    20220527_160442.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 20220527_160744.jpg
    20220527_160744.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 14
I bought this 1998 GMC last year couldn't, say no to the price. Took a little over a day of detailing the inside and doing a paint correction but got her looking good for the age. I've enjoyed driving it way more than my newer GMC. If anyone has any tips or tricks to get the top of the cab lights working let me know. Not sure i want to start tearing apart the truck just to fix them but that might be the next option. Fuses and bulbs are all good, guessing its wiring somewhere.
Those 1988 to 1998 Chevy/GMC's are great trucks. mtmuley

Those 1988 to 1998 Chevy/GMC's are great trucks. mtmuley
I love it! I know a guy here locally who has one under 20k miles. Still has the plastic on the back seats. He leaves it in his garage and uses the box as a storage shelf for junk. Last time i asked if he was willing to sell his asking price was crazy.

I love it! I know a guy here locally who has one under 20k miles. Still has the plastic on the back seats. He leaves it in his garage and uses the box as a storage shelf for junk. Last time i asked if he was willing to sell his asking price was crazy.
My last one had 387,000 on it when I got rid of it. Should have kept it. mtmuley

Enough of these 80k show rigs the dealer maintains 😂. How about some love for the old and not so old faithfuls out there. They seem to be getting more and more reliable...

Here is my Llama hauler, about to hit 355k. 2001 2500 diesel, pictured pulling my turbo diesel grocery getter.
View attachment 210737
View attachment 210738View attachment 210739
View attachment 210740
Looks like a Dodge to me. Had a 2000 Dodge diesel I pulled RV's with for a living. Only real problem back then was the transmission. Guy at the shop told me the trans were weak in them and generally they needed rebuilt at something like 265,000 mi; mine made 335,000 and then had to rebuild it. Other than that it was a nice truck and would have another but simply can't afford one. These days my diesel is a 1983 Ford super 250 dually; International diesel. Only get 16mpg gal with it but my Bronco only get's 12! The 83 doesn't have 4wd either. Got it when I needed to pull a 5th wheel home after the house burned down. About 280,000 mi on it and only problem is sancro bad in third gear and at low speed I have to hold it in gear to take my foot off the gas. Sure wish it were 4wd but I haul a ton of fire place pellet's at a time for myself and other's here in town and it does a good job.

I met another guy from Wisconsin pulling RV and he had a pre turbo Cummins in his Dodge. Over 1 million miles and still running good! He loved his dodge too.

Last edited:
Not mine.

This is my son Stephen standing next to the trusty Hollis Adventure Rental known as "Martin". Complete with bullet hole in the rear passenger door from a previous renter.

He creaked and groaned like I do getting out of bed, but never failed us.

View attachment 210772
Howin the world does that guy sleep in that tent?

My '74 Bronco that doesn't qualify for the high mileage aspect of this thread. It has 108,000 miles on it, and it doesn't burn a bit of oil. I've done my best to keep it going, by keeping up on the maintenance. Unlike today's computerized rigs, I can actually work on this engine. I love this thing.

Attachments

• IMG_4692.JPG
    IMG_4692.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 17
Hey twodogs,
I have a 76 Bronco same color as yours with 109,000 original miles! Can't beat them when a back country "road" turns into a goat trail and after a while you have to turn around.
PS.....Dave N has been with me on a couple adventures.

Hey twodogs,
I have a 76 Bronco same color as yours with 109,000 original miles! Can't beat them when a back country "road" turns into a goat trail and after a while you have to turn around.
PS.....Dave N has been with me on a couple adventures.
Adventures? I thought you were trying to terrorize the wife cruising next to the cliff edges! ;)

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back