Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Oil in between Scope Base and Rifle

RugerHawg413

I have read that most people use some sort of gun oil (Rem Oil) in between their scope base and the rifle. What do you use in between the scope base and the rifle?

I have a rem 870 that I put a side scope mount on to make it a dedicated slug gun. After a few years I took the mount off and rust formed on the receiver, the mount is aluminum. Luckily it wasn't that bad and when I put the mount back on I put a light coating of lithium grease. That solved the issue and I now do that anytime I put mounts on a gun.

Degrease the scope mount, screws, and receiver. You can use Loc-tite or 2-part epoxy to bed it. There's a lot of info about this on the internet.

Blue Loc-Tite right? And the 2-part epoxy what brand do you use? I may having a hard time finding the Jewelers mounting epoxy that Mudder talked about. Thanks!

I’d either de grease it or coat it in red lock tight.

99.9% of the time the idea of a scope base is for it to not move or ever be removed...

That or de-natured alcohol. 💥

Lighter fluid that you'd use to flush out your trigger or a smidgen of charcoal starter on a Kleenex would be better. Alcohols aren't very good solvents for greases or oils. Then again I've yet to see a rifle receiver or scope base/s that were oily. I do it more out of precaution than need.

So, Schmalts, your the scope guy, do you recommend this?
I sell and research optics, but I am no gunsmith.... So my opinion means nothing on this one and I am not saying one way or another. I have in the past used a skimcoat of loctite to fill in any gaps. Not always but a few times as it is like bedding the bases to the receiver. Have done the same with a scope in the rings, just a drop as a void filler. Probably overkill.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back