MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Not sure if its worth it (Az elk)

okie archer

I have two pp in Az for elk. I originally spoke to an outfitter for elk hunt couple years ago. Now I'm thinking if I draw to try a diy elk hunt. That's a big IF I draw. Would not have a clue where to hunt if I ever did draw. $160 to purchase license to apply is steep. All though I also have points for Gould's turkey and will probably put in for sheep starting this year. It's just a little overwhelming at times keeping up with draws in various states for various species with poor odds. Not to mention the $$. Guess I'm just venting right now.

$160 to purchase license to apply.

Think of this as downpayment on memories. Apply when and where you can. I believe it is Bin Fin that said "You'll run out of life before you run out of money"

I'm in your same boat with how much it costs to apply so I don't in many states but what if you draw a tag...well worth the heartburn

If are applying in AZ for anything, nominal cost to apply for everything else. The hunting license cost is with the first species. After that decision to apply for sheep or Goulds is made then the incremental cost to apply for elk, etc, in quite nominal.

Would you ever retire to AZ? If so, the NR points you have built up the next few years will make it easier as a new resident to draw average Elk and deer units plus you have a chance at the random bucket of tags as a Resident. What are the good, not great archery units costing a NR in points? 6 or 10 points? The best archery hunts are around 20 points for a NR in AZ, right? With point creep. And no guarantee the game does not change. Take half the NR tags and put in a random draw then the point creep rate doubles.

If given the chance at the best tag in a state for elk but only can have it once when you are 60 in ebbing health or instead you can build points for a decade then draw a good elk tag then I know my plan for applying for hunts. Just look at hunters that cried and moaned when the government shut down so closed access to some hunting parcels or areas are closed due to fires or is a poor antler growth year or snow flies early closing off access or your spouse is ill or you tweak your knee. Imagine waiting 25 or 40 years to have any of those happen.

Sign me up for quantity over only great quality.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back