North Central MT

sheff

A friend of mine is looking at purchasing a ranch in north central Montana. Can someone give me an idea of what game might possibly be on it? The place is north of Billings about 100 miles from Canada. I'm not exactly sure where.

Are there any elk in that area? Mule deer? whitetails? Bear?

Thanks in advance,
Sheff

A friend of mine is looking at purchasing a ranch in north central Montana. Can someone give me an idea of what game might possibly be on it? The place is north of Billings about 100 miles from Canada. I'm not exactly sure where.

Are there any elk in that area? Mule deer? whitetails? Bear?

Thanks in advance,
Sheff

What the wolves, lions, bears didn't eat the locals probably poached. He's better off looking for land somewhere else.

100miles south of Canada could equal anything from Sagebrush to Timber to Greasewood. Animals will vary with the habitat. To be honest, I'm not sure you'll get much more info than that from the locals...sorry.

" I'm not exactly sure where. Are there any elk in that area? Mule deer? whitetails? Bear?"

Maybe!? That's likely the best answer based on your description of location in the varied topography, wildlife habitat, and vast spaces of Montana.

'Kind of reminds me of the story about the Army second lieutenant during night manuevers describing his platoon's location as "right here on this rocky hill directly under the Big Dipper."

Thanks for all the responses.

Maybe I should have asked if Billings was too far east for Muleys and too too far west for whitetails.......

I figure elk will be dependant on terrain.

North of Billings and 100 miles South of the Canadian line puts it right near the Missouri river. There could be elk, should be mule deer and whitetails depending on the terrain. Could also be upland birds depending on the cover, almost guaranteed there will be speed goats.

Nemont

sheff, sorry for the wise a$$ comments ... 'couldn't help myself.

Go to http://fwp.mt.gov/ which is the Montana Fish, Wildlife, & Parks website. There you will find alot of good information about wildlife and hunting in Montana. There is good info and maps depicting the habitat and the locations of different species for many areas of central Montana. That is a good place to start.

You might try looking on the Bio-Diversity maps that Montana's Wildlife Department might have, this could show you summer and winter ranges. John

The advice I can offer is: Make sure he has water. With out water you've got nothing. Just because you've got land doesn't mean you have a tag for what you feed and want to hunt. And don't squat with your spurs on.

I found out the place borders Lake Fort Peck on the south side. Anyone think this area might have elk and muleys?

"It's not a big place, about 12,000 acres." That's funny.

Over 18 sections! You must be from Texas. Maybe in Texas, that would be a small place where you could grow a small garden, raise a milk cow, and a few goats ... but in Montana 18 sections is alot of agricultural land and perhaps wildlife habitat.

Back