PEAX Equipment

North Central MT

sheff, that sounds like it is right in my neck of the woods. If it actually borders Fort Peck, it should have plenty of elk, mule deer, whitetail, lots of game birds, huns, sharps, pheasant, and lions. MIght get some pronghorn at different times. Fishing is fantastic. Getting in and out of there can be a real pain in the ass but that is what keeps it undeveloped. Find out it it is in Garfield or Petroleum county.
Wolves have been very few and far in between in that area so far.

Thanks twodot. I'll see what I can find out. I'm pretty sure it's in Garfield County.

straight arrow - sorry for the smart a$$ answer......you started it...

I suggest your friend find out the water situation. The last few years of odd weather have created reservoirs that are toxic to all animals. It has to do with the natural salts that leached out of the soil in 2011 and then the dry in 2012 has concentrated those levels of TDS. Some reservoirs are 16000 ppm and levels above 4000ppm are considered dangerous for animals. Levels above 10000ppm causes brain damage.

I suggest your friend find out the water situation. The last few years of odd weather have created reservoirs that are toxic to all animals. It has to do with the natural salts that leached out of the soil in 2011 and then the dry in 2012 has concentrated those levels of TDS. Some reservoirs are 16000 ppm and levels above 4000ppm are considered dangerous for animals. Levels above 10000ppm causes brain damage.

So should those water holes be tested, and if they are above 4,000ppm's be filled in? Wouldn't want our wildlife to be poisoned.

You'll pretty much know if the reservoir is toxic because wildlife aren't using them. I know calf weights can be affected but I don't think a mature animal would continue to use a bad water source. You can buy a tester or send samples to a lab. Local ranchers have talked about low calf weights, reduced weight gain, and some have talked about cows getting polioencephalomalacia (star gazing disease).

There are a couple options: 1) breach/drain, dredge, and rebuild OR 2) pump water to tanks from a well. Wells in the breaks country can be in excess of 2000 feet below the surface @ $100/ft plus pumping costs.

Like the others have stated, North of Billings, you can have just about any type of terrain, but there is hunting to be had. I have taken both whitetail and mule deer in the Billings area. Also, the bird hunting is likely to be your best opportunity. But if his ranch has poor hunting on it the good news is that there is plenty of hunting for big game not too far away! I would go to the Montana FWP website and look at the region population statistics. Here is the website- http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/planahunt/ On it you can select the type of hunting you want to do and it shows you the how concentrated the area is with that type of game. Good luck!

Back