Niagara steelies I hope

the nikster

I am in Hamilton and looking forward to some Niagara fishing in the next couple of months. Been watching a bunch of videos and feel like a pro, hehehe!
Anyone got any steehead pointers?

Yea, dont expect too catch one everyday.... I went 2 seasons before I caught my first one, now im mad if I dont catch 2-3 everyday... Takes alittle bit to refine the holes and technique..
Matt

First day bummer.
Bounced 1 oz lead off the bottom with an artificial worm then switched to minnow and got zero action. Boat in front of me ( I could have cast over it) caught 3. I need more practice.
Conditions? Water was just over freezing with a bunch of surface slush and some bergs. Seemed clear to me, I could see down about 4 feet. 20 mph winds blowing in off the lake. -15 degrees according to the locals. Brutal. 4 hrs of misery.

I do best casting hardware from shore with a 12' light action spinning rig and 6lb test. If the minnies are runnin in six inches of water near shore gonna be a good day. I've actually seen fish beach themselves on many occasions goin after em.

From a boat Kwikfish do well bounced along the bottom.

Back