New to Hunting --> Looking to Learn

B Bails

Hello All -

First and foremost, I love this platform. Thanks to all who manage this and provide the means for outdoor / hunting enthusiasts to come together and share ideas.

I am pretty new to hunting (2 yrs) and am trying to prepare for a western hunt for Elk in CO, WY, or MT in the next 2 years. I have a lot to learn and hoping this forum can assist.

1) Anyone looking to sell any used gear that is still in good shape? (Camping, Backpacks, or Used apparel) Also, any flash sale websites or forum advice would be great.
2) Is anyone willing to be a mentor and help coach me through the growing pains of learning how to be a DIY public land hunter for elk? I've been watching and listening to Randy Newberg and Hunt Talk podcasts and Steve Rinella - MeatEater, are they're any other good ones you can recommend?
3) How would a guy from WI, who mainly hunts turkey and whitetail, find private land owners who are willing to lease rights to private land hunts?

Any and all feedback / advice is welcome. Excited to learn and get out there!

Bryan

"Is anyone willing to be a mentor and help coach me through the growing pains of learning how to be a DIY public land hunter for elk"?
And
"How would a guy....... find private land owners who are willing to lease rights to private land hunts?

Interesting combination of requests.
Good luck in your endeavors.

Used gear....I believe there is a portion of this forum devoted to selling/buying stuff but I'll admit to never having looked at it. Maybe others can tune you in to what it offers. Craigslist or other local internet sales sites might be an option for you too.

Other media resources....Elk 101 (Idaho's own Corey Jacobsen)......Born And Raised Outdoors.....Hunt Backcountry podcast (EXO Mountain Gear guys).

For a hunting mentor, join Backcountry Hunters and Anglers and frequent your local chapter meetings as a starting point. Frequenting shooting ranges and archery ranges puts you in contact with like-minded people as well.

As far as land access goes.....get the OnX mapping app on your phone and PC, whether you are hunting in the West or WI. For private land, just ask permission. If you are hunting in the West with all the state, BLM and NF land available to hunt out here you should never have to pay a trepass fee.

goHUNT's service has been useful for me in the past.

Good luck!

Colorado has 23 million acres of public land hunting. Why do you think you need to hunt private land? Landowners don't let you do it for free.

Used gear....I believe there is a portion of this forum devoted to selling/buying stuff but I'll admit to never having looked at it. Maybe others can tune you in to what it offers. Craigslist or other local internet sales sites might be an option for you too.

Other media resources....Elk 101 (Idaho's own Corey Jacobsen)......Born And Raised Outdoors.....Hunt Backcountry podcast (EXO Mountain Gear guys).

For a hunting mentor, join Backcountry Hunters and Anglers and frequent your local chapter meetings as a starting point. Frequenting shooting ranges and archery ranges puts you in contact with like-minded people as well.

As far as land access goes.....get the OnX mapping app on your phone and PC, whether you are hunting in the West or WI. For private land, just ask permission. If you are hunting in the West with all the state, BLM and NF land available to hunt out here you should never have to pay a trepass fee.

goHUNT's service has been useful for me in the past.

Good luck!
Great advice Focus. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Colorado has 23 million acres of public land hunting. Why do you think you need to hunt private land? Landowners don't let you do it for free.

Thank for replying Elk Nut.

I guess I've heard many elk seek shelter on private once they're pressured. Is that not true?

Thanks again for the response!

Where are you located?

Also, new to hunting and going straight into elk? That'll be a hard line to follow. Suggest you home some skills on other game first.

1) Anyone looking to sell any used gear that is still in good shape? (Camping, Backpacks, or Used apparel) Also, any flash sale websites or forum advice would be great.

Rokslide is a pretty good classified for used gear. Sierra Trading Post, Steep and Cheap, REI outlet, etc.

2) Is anyone willing to be a mentor and help coach me through the growing pains of learning how to be a DIY public land hunter for elk? I've been watching and listening to Randy Newberg and Hunt Talk podcasts and Steve Rinella - MeatEater, are they're any other good ones you can recommend?

Lots of good advice on this forum. Spend some time reading. The School of Hard Knocks is always in session. My recommendation is just go hunting.

3) How would a guy from WI, who mainly hunts turkey and whitetail, find private land owners who are willing to lease rights to private land hunts?

No idea. Most of us on here are public land hunters.

Bailey.........Yes, that can be true but it depends on the unit too. Some units have a lot of private land and it's probably true. Other units have very little private land and the elk will stay on public land. You can look at how many elk are killed every year to see that.

You can also avoid it by hunting the early seasons. In Colorado that would be archery and muzzleloader. I use a muzzleloader myself. What do you plan to use for a weapon? Another advantage of the early seasons is you get to hunt during the rut. This has many advantages. Plus, the weather is much more friendly. Something for you to think about as a new elk hunter.

Welcome!

You are on the right track with the videos you are watching. Don't worry about private unless you have money to burn. There are vast areas of public, more than you can hike or hunt. If there is private that acts as a sanctuary for elk, it won't be cheap or even accessible without hiring an outfitter.

Hiring an outfitter is a way to make a first elk hunt and learn but that also isn't cheap. I've seen posts looking for a hunting partner for certain weeks and states.

Archery? Muzzleloader? Rifle? All that matters. Watch Randy's video series on access by state. You can get Over the Counter (OTC) tags in Colorado and Idaho. CO has a million hunters. ID has wolves and grizzlies (depending on unit). Utah has a limited OTC for rifle that sells fast and unlimited archery OTC. They are hard hunts. NM and ID are no points for draw so you aren't at a disadvantage. Other states have various systems.

31 Oct is deadline for WY points so consider getting your first points. Don't try to save points for trophy units. Unless you are 20 years old, you may never beat point creep as a non-resident and you will miss years of hunts. You can get hunts on 1-6 points that provide opportunity.

Pick an OTC option and get in the woods is the best way to start. At least find a local buddy willing to learn as well and split driving and costs.

Bailey.........Yes, that can be true but it depends on the unit too. Some units have a lot of private land and it's probably true. Other units have very little private land and the elk will stay on public land. You can look at how many elk are killed every year to see that.

You can also avoid it by hunting the early seasons. In Colorado that would be archery and muzzleloader. I use a muzzleloader myself. What do you plan to use for a weapon? Another advantage of the early seasons is you get to hunt during the rut. This has many advantages. Plus, the weather is much more friendly. Something for you to think about as a new elk hunter.

Great advice. I've just recently started to dive into GoHunt and am noticing all of the public land opportunities out west. Looks amazing out there. I've heard CO and WY are two of the better places to start based flexibility and draw odds.

I guess my plan was to start with 1st - 4th rifle season depending on OTC / Draw in CO and weather or not I can get out there late season. I currently use a 7mm-08 and haven't graduated to Archery yet. My brother in law bow hunts and it looks awesome. Never muzzleloaded.

Thanks again for the responses. Looking forward to the planning and prep!

I paid trespass fees for the first 2 western hunts I did, CO deer and WY pronghorn. I feel stupid about it now, but I just had no idea about the opportunity for quality hunting on public lands in the west.

Here in the Midwest, the general consensus of hunting out west is that you either need 10+ years of points, or hunt a private ranch to have a decent chance of success. I do think that's gradually changing with the content that Randy and others are putting out.

"Is anyone willing to be a mentor and help coach me through the growing pains of learning how to be a DIY public land hunter for elk"?
And
"How would a guy....... find private land owners who are willing to lease rights to private land hunts?

Interesting combination of requests.
Good luck in your endeavors.
Thanks for another helpful post on point you are truly a great contributor to the forum.

Bhbailey welcome aboard and no worries on finding private land out west like others have said there is plenty of public that is great hunting. Stark difference from the east. Keep searching the forum and google searching and you will find tons of helpful info. When you get unit specific there is plenty of guys who will be willing to help you out on here. Goodluck on your adventures.

Where are you located?

Also, new to hunting and going straight into elk? That'll be a hard line to follow. Suggest you home some skills on other game first.

I live in Wisconsin, not really new to hunting just never been out west. I've been hunting deer and turkey for a few years now but know coming out west is a whole new ball game.

Get used to hiking if your not already! You don’t have to be the fittest, but the fitter you are the less difficult it will be or the more country you can cover. The elevation and terrain is surprising to a lot of folks. They don’t get off the roads for a reason- it can be hard work.

Decide what season/weapon you want to hunt and go from there.

Back