New to coyote hunting

RyeGuy74

Good evening all,

I am new to coyote hunting, as in I shot my first coyote yesterday afternoon, and I am wondering what advice anyone has that may help me from skinning, to end step, and everything in between. I have permission to hunt as many coyotes that I can from this ranch and I would like to make the most out of hunting coyotes and I know there's much more after the shot that can be done with coyotes. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Check to see if theres a bounty in your area or talk to your taxidermist if you have one. Taxi may want them or know someone who does if your getting a bunch of nice ones.

There’s a giant backlog of unsold pelts at the auction house held over from the previous few years. Plus Russians are typically big buyers, but they’re a little preoccupied…

But, it’s a good time to learn to put them up, if that’s what you want to do, because you won’t be out anything if you mess them up 🤷🏻‍♀️ Get a few tanned.

There’s a giant backlog of unsold pelts at the auction house held over from the previous few years. Plus Russians are typically big buyers, but they’re a little preoccupied…

But, it’s a good time to learn to put them up, if that’s what you want to do, because you won’t be out anything if you mess them up 🤷🏻‍♀️ Get a few tanned.
I wish I knew where all these fur auctions were at, I'm in need a beaver pelt. One of the few pelts I can't get myself in this region of the country.

It depends on the country of course, but wind is king. Don’t bother hunting them if you don’t heed the king, and I mean all the time.

I like to scout stands with about 180 of view with a block behind me. I especially like cliffs that force them come in from the side.

Calling on your own is tough because they will come straight to the call. E-calls are awesome when you can get them at least 100 yards into the wind. I also use a spinning decoy.

Get out early and/or stay out late. Be in your stand before light and sneak into your stand early.

Call for a minimum of 15 minutes, but push toward 30. They tend to bust right in or sneak in very slowly or sneakily.

Watch your back or whatever will give them a shot at catching your wind. In my experience. The quick dogs don’t heed the wind as much. If they came in after 15 they’re going to try hard to wind you.

When you kill one, skin it, take the skull and open up the body cavity. Sit over that carcass 12 to 24 hours later and kill their cannibalistic family.

Use your experience to become a better hunter. Expect to fail a ton and love the challenge. They’re routinely craftier, smarter and more sensitive than the cloven critters they hunt. Every yote you kill saves some fawns, poults, chicks and more for your dinner table.

I wish I knew where all these fur auctions were at, I'm in need a beaver pelt. One of the few pelts I can't get myself in this region of the country.
I think most states have a state auction, and then there’s Fur Harvesters, but these are geared towards commercial buyers so they’re usually sold in lots I believe rather than individual hides.

If you just want one or a couple, check Etsy. They have some right now.

This will cover how to skin and do a basic pickle of a tubed out coyote. We used this method last year on probably 30 total animals (Coyotes, Coons, Possum, Otter and even a skunk)

It depends on the country of course, but wind is king. Don’t bother hunting them if you don’t heed the king, and I mean all the time.

I like to scout stands with about 180 of view with a block behind me. I especially like cliffs that force them come in from the side.

Calling on your own is tough because they will come straight to the call. E-calls are awesome when you can get them at least 100 yards into the wind. I also use a spinning decoy.

Get out early and/or stay out late. Be in your stand before light and sneak into your stand early.

Call for a minimum of 15 minutes, but push toward 30. They tend to bust right in or sneak in very slowly or sneakily.

Watch your back or whatever will give them a shot at catching your wind. In my experience. The quick dogs don’t heed the wind as much. If they came in after 15 they’re going to try hard to wind you.

When you kill one, skin it, take the skull and open up the body cavity. Sit over that carcass 12 to 24 hours later and kill their cannibalistic family.

Use your experience to become a better hunter. Expect to fail a ton and love the challenge. They’re routinely craftier, smarter and more sensitive than the cloven critters they hunt. Every yote you kill saves some fawns, poults, chicks and more for your dinner table.
Lotta good info. Wind and movement. They side eye, but sometimes, like crows, will employ 'messengers' or trail behind each other, so keep your eyes open for doubles.

Rifle hunting em is fun, loads. Shotgunning is fun too....learn to call with your lips for up close.

...and never, ever, turn down an offer to be a tunnel rat...

You haven't lived until you've gone subterranean for a yote, preferably with ear plugs, a trusty 9 and lipping a cig...

Ive never had a coyote touch anything dead that has my scent on it, at least for several days. Where do you live??

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back