Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New to backpack hunting

ChasinTail

Hi guys I'm wanting to get into backpack hunting, I've been getting gear and one thing i was stuck on is the sleeping bag. Was hoping i could get some suggestions. i archery and rifle hunt. so fall/ early winter here in Oregon.
Thanks in advance.

There are hundreds of reasonable options. Without trying some and checking them out in person it's really hard to know what you'll like. I prefer high end down, 800+ fill, and have no problem keeping it dry. For Sept. through early Nov. I use a 18* bag. I can push it to single digits, but below that I use a -10*. Temp ratings are not just about down load, the design and fabrics have a significant impact on performance. If you just want a make and model you'll get about as many opinions as you get responses. I'd heed the advice of those who do it a lot, and look at gear lists from mountaineering and ultralight backpacking websites. They push it harder and think about gear more than most hunters, though not all.

What's your budget?
Do you intend to make backpacking a lifestyle, or is this a once a year thing?
What is your shelter system?

Body size and how you prefer to sleep makes a difference as well. Some people hate mummy bags and are willing to carry more weight for comfort and room. I sleep on my side so I really like the down quilts. Downside to that is you must have a sleeping pad. Good luck!

This is a little off topic(and I will return to the topic at the end) but snowymountaineer made me think of something.

As a new-to-backpack hunting person, and I’m assuming you don’t backpack otherwise, know that having an enjoyable backcountry hunt requires being in shape for said endeavor. While some folks push it to the extreme with regimens and supplements, I’m just going to say that the best way to be in shape to hunt out of your pack is to start backpacking. This means maybe just going out to some lakes/peaks and spending the night/multiple nights multiple times a year. Seeing what kind of energy you have at the end of a 6 mile/3000ft day with camp on your back. Weight is also a huge factor, some people don’t mind lugging 60lbs into the backcountry but I can say this - lighter weight to a point is better. You’ll have more energy to hunt, and when you get that animal down 6 miles from the truck it’ll be easier to make the trip out.

With that said, as far as sleeping bags keep in mind you’re investing in a piece of equipment that is meant to keep you alive. Not many people look at it this way and it’s surprising. You can absolutely die of hypothermia, why in the world would you risk your life to save a few bucks? Plus, the nicer bags have good resale value - if you decide it isn’t for you, you’ll lose a lot less money. Also, keep in mind that going out and spending the night freezing isn’t going to do much for your morale. I would also hate to have that ruin a trip.

I’d stick with the higher end brands - Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends. I personally run an older Marmot Helium(before they started using that stupid water repellant down) and it’s treated me right. If you order WM from hermits hut you’ll get overfill for free. Also, WM rates their bags conservatively vs most manufacturers that rate them optimistically. You’ll often find people taking WM bags down below their temp rating and still remaining comfortable.

Well I can tell you what I've learned last year, on my first trip, about sleeping bags and sleeping situations. I had to purchase a lot of gear prior to my trip in my budget for a sleeping bag really only allowed me too consider a synthetic bag. I bought a marmot trestles 0 degree. It's quite bulky it weighs nearly five pounds. I found that sleeping in it, in my base and mid layers, and having eaten close to a thousand calories at dinner time, I would wake up overheating and sweating the thing up in roughly 15 degree temperatures. I probably could have done okay with a 15 degree bag, which I do have, and is also a marmot trestles.

That being said, I am looking at a 5 degree down bag from Western Mountaineering this year since I have more money to throw around. Down bags are much more expensive then synthetic fill, but I will be saving nearly 3 lb packed weight, considerable volume and I understand their quality is second to none. My only reservation is that they do not use a treated down, instead they rely on the moisture resistance of there lining and exterior shell. They also say that down has its own oils that are washed away in a treatment process that should help with water resistance naturally.

If you can swing it, definitely go with a down bag over a synthetic one for backpacking pursuits.

Best of luck!

Thanks guys, ill look those up. i don't really know of any stores near me where i could go in and talk to someone who really know backpacking. There is one in Eugene,OR but its hours away. Maybe i'll spend a day coming up to make the drive. I'd like to buy things in person. I'll look at those brands online now. I was also looking at a Kelty 2 person tent. As far as budget, thats not really a problem, I'm not in a rush. Im not going to make the trip until I'm 100% ready with quality equipment. Don't want bad equipment either getting me hurt nor have it ruin my first experience ya know. And yes I've been hiking and getting in better shape. Just got back from pushing the double stroller with the kids a few miles mostly up hill. i was beat lol

I’d go lighter weight on the tent if at all possible. I know you like shopping in person, but there are a lot of great lightweight options out there gear-wise that just aren’t available in stores.

Id give trekking poles a shot - I know a lot of people think they’re stupid(and trust me, so did I once upon a time) but they make going uphill/downhill so much easier. Even more with a heavy load. What’s more, you can buy tents that are designed to use the trekking poles as poles for the tent, saving weight.

I’d stick with the higher end brands - Western Mountaineering, Feathered Friends. I personally run an older Marmot Helium(before they started using that stupid water repellant down) and it’s treated me right...

what do you have against the treated down? Just curious, I've thought about getting a treated bag, and this is the first negative i've heard about them. Nixwax also makes a wash-in detergent that is supposed to make the down water resistant. I washed my bags in it and have seen no ill effects.

Can't really add much more here. The temp ratings are usually off about 10-15 degrees for "comfortable" sleeping. I have about half a dozen bags, both synthetic and down. The one I use the most is an REI 20dg down bag, its good to about 30 deg, but isn't that great of a design, but is super light. My "heavy" bag is a 10deg Marmot, that I've slept in with a liner and thermals in negative temps (unheated cabin, -40 outside) and was very comfortable. I rarely take it unless I know its going to be in the 30's or less, its just too warm. IMO Marmot makes a great bag, probably the best at their price point. The hood fit is worth the purchase alone, IMO.

what do you have against the treated down? Just curious, I've thought about getting a treated bag, and this is the first negative i've heard about them. Nixwax also makes a wash-in detergent that is supposed to make the down water resistant. I washed my bags in it and have seen no ill effects.

Can't really add much more here. The temp ratings are usually off about 10-15 degrees for "comfortable" sleeping. I have about half a dozen bags, both synthetic and down. The one I use the most is an REI 20dg down bag, its good to about 30 deg, but isn't that great of a design, but is super light. My "heavy" bag is a 10deg Marmot, that I've slept in with a liner and thermals in negative temps (unheated cabin, -40 outside) and was very comfortable. I rarely take it unless I know its going to be in the 30's or less, its just too warm. IMO Marmot makes a great bag, probably the best at their price point. The hood fit is worth the purchase alone, IMO.

So me and my wife have similar bags, hers has the water repellant down and mine doesn’t. Obviously sleeping in like conditions, nearly every morning her bag is sort of clumpy where mine is golden. She doesn’t sleep with her head covered or anything. It’s really bothersome. I also read that WM did a comparison and found no real benefit. You can look that up online, and I believe them.

Re: water repellent down...I have a repellent down puffy jacket that's seen regular use for three years or so. Initially there was minimal difference in performance, such that I would have recommended it as a great alternative. But over time it has not retained loft as well as my other down products. There are some threads over at backpackinglight that have documented similar, and what jeffraines describes. For an occasional use piece I wouldn't give it a second thought, but for a regular use jacket or bag I'm not sold on it anymore.

Even though your budget is not limiting, that doesn't guarantee a bag will jive with your body. There isn't a high performance (warmth/oz) option on the market that's not a mummy cut or quilt, and sometimes people don't like how those feel. Even within the mummy design there are WAY different layouts depending on brand and model. Montbell for instance is slim throughout, Valandre is narrow at foot and wider at shoulder, etc. You could send $1,000 to PHD for a sleeping bag and hate how it fits. That's why you really have to try some and get some nights in the field. You could order a few online and send back the ones that don't fit. If budget is not a big deal, I'd try:

-Valandre Mirage
-Western Mountaineering Badger MF
-Feathered Friends Swallow YF

Those are all in that 20* range; if you need to bump down closer to 0*:

-Valandre Shocking Blue
-Western Mountaineering Antelope MF
-Feathered Friends Snowbunting

All that said, if you wait until you have all the "right" equipment you might be waiting for the rest of your life. Every piece of gear comes with pros, cons, and appropriate uses--whether it was $50 or $500. You can be set up right for one condition and then the forecast changes and it's out the window. Know-how and the mental game trumps gear 99% of the time, and thankfully all those require is time invested. Good luck and have fun, backpack hunting can be very rewarding.

RE: Treated down, looks like FF doesn’t use treated down either. Nor does montbell, or valandre. Manufacturers like those not using treated down in their bags speak volumes.

I also wouldn’t rule out WMs Ultralight series. Some have expressed concern about the shell fabric used, but I have a similar(if not the same) fabric on my bag and it’s never given me an issue.

Western Mountaineering bags are great. I've owned the Alpinlite and now have the Versalite. They are pricey but worth it.

Glad to read about the confidence in Western Mountaineering yet again. I ordered an overfilled Antelope MF this morning. I'll let you know what I think about it when it gets here, OP.

Back