New Rifle / Range Day

ida homer

Good timing after Npaden’s thread. Had a good day at the range today. Brand new CA Ridgeline in 7mm.

B2A57C01-06B7-4A0A-B250-DDAAAF3DCC41.jpeg

Its still early, but impressed so far. Been following their recommended break in procedure to the T. There seems to be more debate on barrel break in than ford vs. Chevy.

First tried these, not surprised they didn’t shoot but they were free. Shot 2 separate 1.75” groups. Glad these 139gr didn’t shoot, prefer a larger more of a sweet spot for caliber weight.

4C89FAE7-B195-4C2F-865D-3584AD4444E6.jpeg

Then moved onto Christensen’s recommenced ammo, and what I was told they used to test their 1 MOA guarantee.

Was happy with this 4 shot group. Didn’t measure it, but around 1” is all I’m looking for for now.

76AFDECF-DF24-4912-8529-B79AD1F70FBC.jpeg

Then these. I was even happy with this, especially at half the price of the LRAB’s.

060DAFA2-90CD-4ED2-902B-5A612939527D.jpeg

The trigger comes factory set at 3 lbs. which feels pretty heavy to me and is taking some getting used to. I didn’t want to lighten it, as per the manual it voids the warranty (which is BS to me when advertising an adjustable trigger with a 30 day no questions money back guarantee). Wolf tickets.

My next group I was very happy with, as I was starting to get used to the trigger. I’m 100% positive I can’t do this every time, as I am an average marksman.

986A7CEE-5043-40E6-8FB5-A8143EFD2EC2.jpeg

I’ve decided I’m going to keep the gun and lighten the trigger. The trigger is nice, no creep at all and a very clean break. I’m happy so far, but it’s still early.

I specifically did not bring the chronograph, the kestrel/barometer or bubble level. I left them at home. The goal is to simplify things and be very confident in a 400 yard shot at a buck by Oct 10th. If that doesn’t happen I won’t use the rifle.

A barometer, level and chrono complicates things when the goal is sub lungs at 400. Even on an antelope your looking at a 10” diameter lengthwise, so a 1 MOA group is fine. This has helped me put into perspective that a good rest, a good repeatable shooting process and practice is all I should need to be sub deer/elk at 400. We’ll see if it works out, if not will tinker over winter.

Which ones are you going with? I’m shooting hornady eld-x. I’ve been debating about the nosler accubonds and the long range accubonds.

I'm gonna try these fusions, as they grouped the best. Especially once I got a little more comfortable with that trigger.

Are the LRAB's a better bullet? Ya, probably. But to me accuracy trumps all. Especially at half the price of the fancy stuff.

The original AB's are fantastic bullets. I've killed 4 bulls, a bear and about 5 deer with the 160 AB's. Couldn't have been happier
with their performance. Curious on other guys experience with the LRAB's as well.

I'm gonna try these fusions, as they grouped the best. Especially once I got a little more comfortable with that trigger.

Are the LRAB's a better bullet? Ya, probably. But to me accuracy trumps all. Especially at half the price of the fancy stuff.

The original AB's are fantastic bullets. I've killed 4 bulls, a bear and about 5 deer with the 160 AB's. Couldn't have been happier
with their performance. Curious on other guys experience with the LRAB's as well.
I’m going to use the Hornady this year and I think I’ll switch to the federal premium nolser accubonds. Let me know if you hear anything about the LRAB’s. And how the fusions do for you

I’ve killed deer with both 165gr accubonds and fusions out of my 30-06. I was fond of the fusions until I had one blow up on a whitetail doe at about 200yds. They have always grouped excellent in all my rifles but after that I shoot the accubonds at game. Could be a fluke but I’m not taking any chances.

I’ve killed deer with both 165gr accubonds and fusions out of my 30-06. I was fond of the fusions until I had one blow up on a whitetail doe at about 200yds. They have always grouped excellent in all my rifles but after that I shoot the accubonds at game. Could be a fluke but I’m not taking any chances.

Thanks for the feedback. Did you hit shoulder or a lung shot? Did it die quickly?

Thanks for the feedback. Did you hit shoulder or a lung shot? Did it die quickly?
It was a quartering away shot and hit a rib. It penetrated about 1-2 inches and that was it. Knocked her down but I had to finish her off with a follow up shot. The front side lung had all kinds of projectile shards in it. While skinning I never found a piece of the bullet big enough to see what had actually happened. I shot, watched her run a short distance, fall, and when I approached she stood up and I sent the follow up shot, which was a complete pass through and was immediately lethal. The lung had substantial damage but looked like it had been hit with several pieces and not a single projectile. Some of those could have been rib fragments also.

I’ve seen a few instances where a hard quartering shot can cause bullets to do strange things especially if hitting rib bones.
TW- Great rifle and I think you will be just fine with those 150s. I’ve only used the 150gr ABLR in my 270WSM but it was a DRT shot on a buck at 575. Bullet performance was good. They can be finicky to get to group though.

That’s a nice-looking gun! What kind of stock do they put on it? I love the color!!

Those are pretty nice groups too. If you don’t already reload your own I’d say there’s no need to start. Buy a case of your favorite load and go kill stuff.

That’s a nice-looking gun! What kind of stock do they put on it? I love the color!!

Those are pretty nice groups too. If you don’t already reload your own I’d say there’s no need to start. Buy a case of your favorite load and go kill stuff.

From my understanding they make their own stock. Someone correct me if necessary.

Went back to Sportsman's and bought a couple more boxes from the same lot. I'm gonna shoot more groups out of those new boxes this week,
and if they shoot well I'll go back and buy the rest!

Looks like a forgiving rifle sled/rest. Is the rear sling swivel stud free from recoil pressure?

Nice looking rifle and groups.

I'd call that a damn good 1st date. Bonus that affordable Fusion ammo groups that well. Difficult to imagine this setup giving you any problems on deer out to 400 @ least. Thanks for the report.

Back