MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

new pack suggestions?

Idahoarcheryhunter

after this archery season I am convinced it is time to replace my old pack, its nothing special cabela's bargain cave special if I remember correctly. I put on roughly 60 miles this archery season and hunted 9 days out of the season and everyday my pack just wore on my shoulders, my pack is not that heavy with gear for the day as I mainly can only day hunt and not backpack hunt like I want to. My pack weights are normally 10-20 pounds for the day depending on what kind of gear I think that I will need. But here is the kicker I still want a pack that I can throw a hind quarter of an elk on and not worry about the frame being able to handle the load. I have looked at eberlestock mainly and the team elk pack along with the j34 I believe is what it was called have caught my interest have not looked much into kifaru but I know they are another big brand. The only pack I do not think I will be considering is an exo mountain gear due to the price tag for a 3500 cu in pack. I believe it was somewhere along the lines of 550 dollars and that is just out of my price range. Any suggestions are appreciated!

My vote is Kifaru, but if the Exo is out of your price range, it will be too. A lot of folks on here use Mystery Ranch. I've owned one of them too, but I much prefer my Kifaru to it. The Eberlestock would be fine for a day pack, but they are brutal with a lot of weight in them. I would check the classifieds on here and places like archery talk and rokslide for a used Kifaru. Lots of guys will be selling them to buy a new model after season.

My vote is Kifaru, but if the Exo is out of your price range, it will be too. A lot of folks on here use Mystery Ranch. I've owned one of them too, but I much prefer my Kifaru to it. The Eberlestock would be fine for a day pack, but they are brutal with a lot of weight in them. I would check the classifieds on here and places like archery talk and rokslide for a used Kifaru. Lots of guys will be selling them to buy a new model after season.

thanks for the advice, I guess I cant say they are out of my price range until I can get one in my hands just looking online my jaw about hit the bottom of the floor, but buy quality once and you are set the way I see it.

Yes, a good pack will last many years. I bought and hunted with 4 cheaper packs before finally biting the bullet and buying a Kifaru. I could have bought it first and saved a lot of money. This season is my third season hunting with it.

I love my KUIU icon pro 3200, but before it and I still have it a badlands 2200, it's less than 300, kuiu 400 +

I've got the J34 and while it's a decent pack, it just doesn't have much for a frame and isn't comfortable with a heavy load. Bought a kuiu icon 5200 and that thing is WAY better than the Eberlestock. I'll try and put up a few pics of the J34 frame this week sometime. I would definitely avoid that one. Or maybe I should sell you mine!

Your best option would be to buy a used kifaru, mystery ranch, exo, or stone glacier. If you dont want to do that the outdoorsman pack is a good option. so is the slumberjack bounty, my dad just picked one up for $170. It seems really nice but havent been able to test it. I have a kuiu ultra with the 3000 and 6000 bags, it suits my needs fine, but there is better out there for around the same amount.

Kifaru voter here too, and love mine!! I watched Rocslide Classifieds hourly (they come and go quick) and bought a used Kifaru for alot less than normal, and it looked new.

Check Rokslide classifieds for a used Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Exo, or Mystery Ranch.

Not sure why Seek Outside packs are not mentioned much here but I'm on my 3rd year with one. Very versatile, very light, very strong, and very comfortable. There is a lot to like.
HD

I use a Badlands Sacrifice for what you describe. Once I got the squeaky frame problem fixed, it became my main pack. The compression straps do a great job of keeping it from swinging around when I'm hunting almost empty. It is also big enough for overnight with my warm weather gear. Last year I packed out the head/cape, backstraps and trim of a mature mule, along with my gear.

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody, I got the chance today to play with a eberlestock j34 that my friend owns as we were looking at our area to hunt on the beginning of idahos rifle deer season and I really liked it, plus all the adjustments and add ons you could put onto the pack. I still want to get a Kifaru and Exo on before I make my decision

I'm loving my Stone Glacier. I've owned J34, Mystery Ranch, Kifaru as comparisons.

My hunting buddy has an Eberlestock X2 and he loves it. Works great for day hunts and he has packed out some serious weight with it. I personally used a Slumberjack Bounty 4500. I would recommend the pack to anyone. It's very versatile in being able to be used for day hunts, backcountry hunts and packing critters out. Last year I helped pack my buddies elk 3.5 miles with an estimated 120-130 pounds. The pack held up great and did better than I expected.

Slumberjack came out with the bounty 2.0 (if memory serves me right) that looks like it's laid out a little better and is right around $300. The Bounty 4500 you can buy new for $180 I believe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back