Vest Advice

TexAg09

I'm gearing up for my first archery hunt out west (I've done several rifle hunts previously), and normally when I archery hunt locally my layering system tends to revolve around wearing an old Cabela's soft shell vest in Max4. I don't like to have a jacket on in fear of it interfering with my bow string. It has worked well for me, but the vest doesn't breath well, pack down very well, and is kind of heavy for a vest. I honestly love that old vest, but I'm considering a First Lite Catalyst vest to combat the weight, packability and breathability issues. (Most of my local hunts are not that active and are day hunts, so those issues haven't been a major concern.)

Any feedback on the Catalyst Vest, or should I just ride it out with the ol reliable duck hunting vest? I didn't find much feedback on the vest itself, and most of the reviews I found were for the Catalyst Jacket. I can probably get by with the old vest, but I have some FL discount codes that are burning a hole in my email haha! Thanks in advance!

Haven't used the catalyst vest, but have loved the Brooks Down for lightweight packability (cuts the weight of the catalyst in half). One of my fav pieces from them, has held up well from numerous trips and washings with down compliant detergent.

None of the gear I have about from First Lite has survived a season. Poor quality - 1 star.
I would agree on their earlier stuff, but the items I have bought in the last 4 years of so have seemed to hold up for me. I'll admit I'm normally only doing about 30-40 days in the field each fall/winter though. The biggest thing for me is most of their items fit me really well being 6'4" 245lbs. Kuiu normally doesn't fit well, and I've never tried Sitka. It's usually a mix of Carhartt and FL because of that reason.

For prosperity, do you have any brands you'd recommend?
Here’s what I wear now after trying most of the brands (not Sitka).

Socks: Darn Tough Knee length wool socks

Merino 33 for wool T-shirts, wool long sleeve Ts, 1/4 zip medium wool shirt and wool long underwear.

Pendleton Board shirt for wool shirt.

LL Beam Heavy wool shirt - 25 years old

Fjallraven pants made with G-1000.

Military surplus M-1951 pants for colder weather

Filson heavy weight wool pants for extreme cold.

Patagonia down puffy with a hood.

Swazi Rifleman wind/rain jacket

Rag wool gloves

Wool insulated leather mittens

FL durability can be hit or miss. I've not been super impressed by some of their merino baselayers, their Vapor rain gear and an Uncompahgre puffy. Other pieces like my Corrugate pants and Catalyst vest and jacket have been bulletproof. I'd vouch for both.

All of that said-- don't feel like you have to wear Gucci camo. If you find something at REI that fits well in a muted earth-tone, go with that.

The catalyst has probably been my favorite stuff from FL aside from their base layers. That’s what I used 90% of the season last year, just layer up or down for the weather.

Very similar performance in my experience to the jetstream/stratus just not as wind proof. I can’t fairly compare durability since the catalyst is only a year old, still looks like new though

The kuiu guide vest is nice for what you describe. The only time i even remotely worry about string contact is when hunting late season below 0 temps with down on. Easy trick to help is just cut a old sock and pull it up left arm as a compression sleeve for your layers.

Back