Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New Mexico Unit 17 Elk Hunt

myboyshuntingguide

Fellow hunters,
My older son has a youth hunt in unit 17 NM Nov. 28 - Dec 2. I have been on three overnight scouting trips in this unit and I have yet to see a single elk, just a bit of sign here and there. I found some sign that indicated the presence of elk near monica's cabin, I am guessing they are headed into the private lands from the sign I saw. The other area I have been looking in is off hwy 52 near oak peak. This is one tough unit let me tell you what it is huge.
I am not looking for for anyone's honey hole or GPS Cords, but any help telling my if I'm even in the right place would be fantastic.
We are loosing hope on this unit, due to the size and the fact we have been skunked on their early deer hunts last weekend in the Burro Mountains. This year it may be up the younger son to bring us home elk from unit 15 late december since I got no draws this year.
Best Regards,
Jeramy

I have not been in the area for a long time, but we used to hunt it every year with mz when it was 100 percent draw. You are right in that it is a lot of country with scattered elk. There were days that I put in 12 gps miles on foot trying to find elk. I hunted it for years before finally killing an elk, although I found them about every year. After finally killing one, I quit and never went back.

We always hunted the north end toward Sergeant Canyon. Limestone Outfitters does pretty well on the south end of the unit, but they know the country and run cattle there (or at least used to). The real high country is nearly void of wildlife, due to lack of water. It is a virtual green desert in the highest parts.

The elk feed way out on the flats at night and then go into the thick junipers during the daytime. As you look for them, do not ignore the south-facing slopes with thick junipers. That is where I found many elk bedded over the years.

Be willing to invest some serious boot leather and you may be rewarded with a monster. They are there.

Thank You SBhooper. This is going to be one hunt where we will earn a cow elk if we get a shot. I told my boy this morning we are heading to the range tomorrow to work up a bit load for the muzzy and shoot out to 250 and get that dialed in for this trip.
I am seeing lots of ibuprofen in my future.
regards,
J

I don't have anything to contribute except welcome...and it's nice to see someones first post, even though you ask for information...you come across in a respectful manner, and signs that you have already put forth an effort....kudos, hopefully you get some info to help out your son in being successful.

We used to hunt deer the flats there on the left side of the highway before you get into Magdalena. There are a couple of waterhole there that use to be productive for deer, and quite a few elk would visit. This year there has been a lot of moisture, so sitting water would not be as productive, but it might be a good place to check for sign. There used to be an adobe house which we would used to find the turnoff, only the foundation is there now.

I did see a nice bull taken in 17 on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=857545620942694&set=gm.943660378981633&type=1&theater

The hunter might be willing to share some info. Can't hurt to ask.

idfishnhunt,
I apologize if I have broken a rule of etiquette? I do thank you for the welcome. I have been watching this forum for quite some time now, mostly as a guest until I decided that the general thinking of this group holds true to the values I hold for my family and hunting.
J.

cantgetdrawn
Thank you for the post. The area you are speaking of is called "Monica's Cabin" (I'm pretty sure) it is a hot bed of activity in unit 17. I have been scouting during the unit off times so that I do not interfere with hunters in the area. On my first trip down to the unit I pulled up to the area around Monica's cabin and decided, this will not be the area where we hunt. I was less than impressed with some of the behavior displayed by folks camping around that area.
I believe that wanting to get away from the crowds and really hunt has lead me into this situation of going the wrong direction in the unit.
Thank you also for the Facebook tip. I do not have an account so it gives me some sort of private error.

I have received valuable information on where to reorganize my efforts this week for another scouting trip!
Thank You all for the information.
J

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back