Need tripod to hold rifle for my son

MITCHMO

Anyone have any favorite tripods with a clamp type mount for a rifle? My son has an elk tag for Michigan here in December and a few weeks ago he broke his arm. He can usually use a simple rest but now I think he needs some extra help. His healing isn’t going as fast as I hoped. I was looking at Bog pods, Night Goggles, or just an adapter that I can put on my spotter tripod. I’m not sure the tripod I have is tall enough to stand though. He’s just a little over 4’ tall and we will probably be doing a lot of walking. I plan on having him use a small Remington 700 in 7mm-08.

Any favorites?
IMG_9247.jpeg

I agree that combo rail from salmon river solutions is great and you can put that on any stock. You have a pic or arca mount up front. Mount that right into a tripod and with a little practice you are good to go. I have tried several tripods and I think the I will give the new one from a Vortex a try next year. I played with it a little and it is very stable, and intended for a direct arca attachment however.

We like the trigger stick over others because of how easy and quick it is to adjust height and position. You can put a clamp up top, but I've never got around to it.

Perhaps not helpful, but just bought a tripod at goodwill for $7. They had like 5 on the shelf. There are lots of hunting specific adapters/clamps you could add on. But before you unnecessarily drop 150 bucks you might want to swing by a thrift shop and see what they got.

Perhaps not helpful, but just bought a tripod at goodwill for $7. They had like 5 on the shelf. There are lots of hunting specific adapters/clamps you could add on. But before you unnecessarily drop 150 bucks you might want to swing by a thrift shop and see what they got.
Not a bad idea. I kinda like trying an adapter.

I bought a Leupold rifle saddle for my Leopold tripod I bought with a spotting scope on Rokslide. Thinking I should sell the spotting scope but love the tripod. Works well for short hikes/sitting in a blind. Haven't shot anything with it yet, give it a week or two.

PXL_20231014_195255406.jpg

This rifle has the pic rail so was thinking about adapter that @BackofBeyond has or similar. Adjusts to standing height, wish I had it setup for cow elk hunt last Dec with tall sagebrush since I couldn't get a shot off.

PXL_20231001_211200635.jpg

I use a Triclawps. I have used a pic rail adapter up front but it balances so much better with a rail or saddle midship.

Backpack as a “rear bag” and you can be rock solid.

I bought a Leupold rifle saddle for my Leopold tripod I bought with a spotting scope on Rokslide. Thinking I should sell the spotting scope but love the tripod. Works well for short hikes/sitting in a blind. Haven't shot anything with it yet, give it a week or two.

View attachment 300919

This rifle has the pic rail so was thinking about adapter that @BackofBeyond has or similar. Adjusts to standing height, wish I had it setup for cow elk hunt last Dec with tall sagebrush since I couldn't get a shot off.

View attachment 300920
Do you actually walk around with all 9” of can on there? That thing just looks extra looooooooong (-she)

My bog pod death grip it extends far enough out I would have no issues shooting standing and I’m 6’1”

I use a Triclawps. I have used a pic rail adapter up front but it balances so much better with a rail or saddle midship.

Backpack as a “rear bag” and you can be rock solid.
What tripod are you using and how heavy a gun? Been looking at them for a while; currently have a slik634 and would like to not need to buy another tripod. Would probably be very occasional use

Sorry.
In my mind standing with any kind of Bi. Tripod is a very iffy way to shoot.
My little granddaughter has used shooting sticks and sitting down. When she started (age 10) she was well under 4 feet tall and under 80 pounds.
She is 14 now and still uses sticks and sitting.

What tripod are you using and how heavy a gun? Been looking at them for a while; currently have a slik634 and would like to not need to buy another tripod. Would probably be very occasional use
Gitzo mountaineer series 0, and my primary rifle is just under 9 lbs. The tripod is adequately solid, but I wouldn’t want it any lighter.

I use a triclawps with a VA-5 head and a slik 634. Typically from the seated position or lower. It has worked well for me up to 30-06 (Win ‘70 with a Swaro z-5 so medium weight gun)but it probably wouldn’t be ideal from full standing. It has been fantastic for my son.

Back