Caribou Gear Tarp

Mystery Ranch or KUIU

BigHorn

There is to be an updated Bighorn as well, a la Dragonslayer. Might be the extra ci's you're looking for.

Just picked up the BigHorn at our Wild Sheep Foundation Dinner...Wow! :D That plus Mark and the MR Customer Service, double 'wow'!!!

During my walk the shoulder straps started ripping into my shoulders like a piece of rope pulling a tractor. Knowing that sure my shoulders would get tired at some point, so I loosed the shoulders to transfer more weight to my hips. This then caused the shoulder straps to spread out so I tightened up the chestie and thats when I realized Im in trouble.

Coon I hope I don't come across as a smart butt. Anyone who is not used to hiking or backpacking is going to take a whooping as they begin to get into it. I obviously don't know you or what your stature is. Are you a ditch digger or a office guy. These things will determine a little as to how long and how much your body will have to get used to. I for one have to work my way into packing weight. My trap muscles will ache along with my legs and everything else as I'm getting into shape. If your shoulders felt that bad I've got to believe that something was wrong. Throwing 30lbs in a pack for a warm up is not a good idea. You're going to feel it. Doesn't matter what pack you have on. You have to start into things easily. It might be 10 pounds for a week then work your way up. I think too many people try to get into shape for a hunt a week or two before. Depending on your body and threshold your going to suffer regardless of gear. I only say this because I'm guilty of doing it myself. I have used many different packs as well and know that some have better straps than others with heavy weight. I truthfully don't feel that MR straps are on the low end of comfort quality. I'm not going to say that they are the end all pack or that they have the most comfortable strap but if they really sucked that bad I don't think the govt. would be using them or you would be reading and seeing guys on here and other sites post pictures of their testimonials.
Like I said in the beginning I'm not trying to rip on you I think your problem may be more related to getting your body used to something that it doesn't normally feel (pack/strap pressure). It won't happen in a week or even two. Just a thought as to why you might of had troubles with the pack.:confused:

Lawnboy

I understand your thought process but that is not the case. In my write up I stated "I did the same for months prior to the hunt w/ my Badlands Superday to get in shape for the thin mountain air which a flatlander like me is never ready for." As far as the gov.'t issued packs that is what MR CC packs are catering to. Which is we see them loaded with "square" cells; assuming for ammo. The biggest issue in my subpar backpack knowledge, is the short height of the nice frame seems to really load heavy an apply pressure to the shoulders. Im not trying to bash MR by any means, just share my experience with guys that were and are lacking informative information.

No apologizes necessary. I too am just trying to figure out why you would of struggled with it. I knew you were referring to the BL pack but didn't think you had done the same with the CC as far as trying it for months. Don't know what to say.:confused:

You are correct. I did not use the CC as I trained for the hunt, only the Superday pack. I also contacted MR for suggestions. I took the time to load it up and take tons of pictures for them to review and called them several times to discuss. After sending pictures to 3 or 4 different guys at MR and at least 2 weeks later I havent heard from anyone. Their customer service was great when I purchased the pack and intelligently answered all my questions. I really don't know what to make of the customer service now.

I own Sitka gear and love it, just received some KUIU gear and it looks great. I own an Eberlestock pack that fits wonderfully and an external pack from Barney Bob's in Alaska that is hard to beat. MR was not available when I was searching for the "right" pack but I would buy one now no doubt if I was looking for a pack. Unless a person is really particular or discriminating I think hairs are being split here. Good luck in everyone's search for the perfect fit. We as hunters have never had so many good choices on quality equipment ever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I have to ask as I see you all talking about how great these packs are, but how do you justify spending $300 + dollars on a back pack? Heck some of these are $550 +. Please don't take this as a negative response , I personally have spent less that $100 and it works just fine for hunting.

Now I will give you the fact I may not be packing everything but the kitchen sink it like maybe some of you do...but please explain this to a backpack novice.

I have to ask as I see you all talking about how great these packs are, but how do you justify spending $300 + dollars on a back pack? Heck some of these are $550 +. Please don't take this as a negative response , I personally have spent less that $100 and it works just fine for hunting.

Now I will give you the fact I may not be packing everything but the kitchen sink it like maybe some of you do...but please explain this to a backpack novice.

I paid $125 for a worn out, blood stained, fifteen year old Dana pack, and I`ve gotten way more than my moneys worth out of it. If I ever get a gear budget again, Ill spend the money and buy a MR and not think twice about it.

When you consider you`re using your pack forty to sixty days a year, its pretty easy to justify the price. To me, my backpack`s way more important than my rifle or optics, and look at how much money we drop on those.

Look at archery equipment nowadays :eek: $800-1000 for a bare bow. They cost more than rifles anymore. I'm sure the same can be said about them as well. It's an investment. Sometimes you can get by with cheaper stuff and sometimes you get what you pay for. If your only hauling out 1 critter a year then just about anything will do. If your bring out 3 plus animals just for yourself along with buddies throughout a year then You might look for something that wont' put you in the rest home early.

If I was confident in my ability to consistently shoot critters, I wouldn't have a problem spending that much for a hunting pack. I do a lot of backpacking and there's nothing worse than having loaded down pack that doesn't fit properly. I'm still using the same bow I got 16 years ago. I don't have a bunch of new Sitka gear. It still kills animals and I remain hidden even in my old school Trebark. However, I won't skimp on boots or a pack. Doesn't mean they need to be the most expensive thing out there, but they HAVE to be comfortable and durable.

After talking to several hardcore guys that I trust and have used both ... I ordered the Kuiu, sight unseen. Time will tell and I'll let you know how I feel after this season. Ed F

Hey Coonass~

PM me your real name and I'll see if I can track down those pictures you sent to MR... We take Customer Service seriously... especially when someone is voicing a bad experience online.

Best.

Mark

Anytime I read something like... "During my walk the shoulder straps started ripping into my shoulders like a piece of rope pulling a tractor."... when someone only has 30 pounds on one of our packs... it's pretty easy to realize that something isn't right.

It's very surprising to me that Coonass hasn't gotten responses to the emails he sent... unless it somehow got missed somewhere (could've even been me)... if we truly haven't responded, you better believe we will. My apologies Coonass (why do I feel like I'm doing something wrong every time I type his handle?).

I'll do my best to make this right. I just need to find out who Coonass is... and get to the bottom of it.

You're not going to please everyone. I tried to figure it out as you can read earlier. There's no way the normal straps should of felt like that. Definitely had something goofy going on. I will agree with you Seacat you guys have incredible support. I went to that sale the other day and the guys in there were more than helpful with questions and setting up packs. Patrick even gave me a card and told me to call if I had any questions.

Now all I need is a nice Dall sheep loaded in that Orion pack and I'll be set :D

This exchange is so classic for Mystery Ranch. Seacat spends a ton of time on many websites looking for even the slightest problem someone might have incurred. And when he hears or reads of it, he and his group are "Johnny On The Spot," making sure they do all they can to solve the issue.

I have yet to see a person post a comment on any of the hunting forums that Seacat and the crew did not take serious and offer the highest level of service. This reply by him is no surprise.

There is a reason that Mystery Ranch has such an avid following of hardcore hunters - Great packs and equally great customer service.

Seacat

I just called MR to speak w/ you. Give me a call when you receive their message.
Thanks

Coonass~

Shoot me a PM with your phone number if you would!

Thanks!

My buddy in Sheridan, WY just bought an MR pack a couple weeks ago while he was in Bozeman with his family for a swim meet his daughter was in. I'm looking forward to seeing the pack in action on our two week archery bull elk hunt in Sept. in AZ Unit 6a where he drew a tag.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back