My son`s version of an N.C. pronghorn!

genesis273

After seeing all of the antelope killed this year on this forum and envying because I wasn`t drawn...well, this is the best we can do. I took Hunter, my son, to a nearby refuge on their annual draw youth hunt (first saturday in Oct). It is a small buck but there isn`t any antler restrictions in NC or on the refuge. Anyway, we had a great time and he shot both of these coming out of a thicket into the woods and dropped both in their tracks with two quick shots with a bolt action 25-06 (Ruger M77) before they knew what hit them. We thought they were both does at first and when he shot the buck the doe slammed on breaks long enough to bolt another round and dropped her.

Anyway, I love taking kids hunting. It`s something they will never forget!

S4200042.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes I think I would like to live where you can stack them whities like firewood.

Gotta love a double. Certainly something to remember.

Sometimes I think I would like to live where you can stack them whities like firewood.

Gotta love a double. Certainly something to remember.

Heck, we waited to shoot more! As long as you have tags you can shoot. Now where we were hunting you are only allowed 4 bucks but does are unlimited....as long as you have tags. After the original 6 tags you can buy all the doe tags you want, 2 tags for $10. Very liberal! He had 6 tags and wanted to use them all in one day! :eek: I`ll put it like this, I had 24 deer in my freezers last year! :D Now that amounts to about 2 of your elk (meat quanity). :confused:

Dink, come on over and you can have some fun with us!

That is a cool looking buck and some fine shooting by the young hunter, way to go!

Nice way to start him out; leaving in about four hours from Denver so I can start filling whitetail tags and checking for hog sign. Keep that young man in the woods all you can; mine never took to it even after getting a deer, floating the blackwater for ducks and various forms of hunting, thus putting a halt to a very long family tradition. Maybe when he's through chasing the dollar.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back