My boy Sam tagged his first elk today.

T Bone

My boy Sam is 14. He isn't hardcore into the outdoors thing. He had an either sex elk tag for 1st season.

I thought I'd have a hard time getting him out of bed this morning, but he jumped right out and put his clothes on.

We couldn't get to our normal spot because of the deep snow and fear of sliding off the mountain...so we went to plan B.

Plan B started with rain, then wind, then snow. Brrrrrrr. 100 yard visibility. We kept plugging along. Sam was a trooper until about 9 am, he was wet and cold. I told him 30 minutes more then we'll head back to the truck. We hadn't cut a track or heard an elk all morning.

We were literally at the turn around point when a lone cow must have felt sorry for us. She appeared in the snow shadows feeding in the quakies at 80 yards. No idea we were there. We had all the time in the world to get set up for the shot and to try and talk some calm into the adrenaline rushing kid. Sam hit her perfect with his 30-06. High fives and hugs.

A two-trip 3/4 mile pack/cliff-climb back to the truck and all is well with the world.

I'm one tired and proud Dad.

DSCF0708.jpg

Congrats to Sam. In that ugly weather, he sure earned that one.

Us 3rd Season guys are liking that snow scene.

Great job sticking with plan 'B'!!
You proved you have to be hunting to be a successful hunter!!
Congratulations!

Now that's what I like seeing!! A father & son team getting along & getting it done! That's a great success in itself, the elk was icing on the cake! Congrats to you both, nice shooting Sam!

ElkNut1

Thanks for the atta-boys. Sam is reading them as well.

I should have taken a leaf and covered the hole....didn't think of that till now.

I wish I could have recorded the whispered dialogue when we first saw her. He was freaking out thinking she was going to get away. He was ready to throw lead in the general direction. I made him wait for a good 5 minutes till she came into a little opening.

Last edited:
Sam will never understand today, that 20 years from now, no memories will ever top chasing Wapiti with the old man. No girl, no game, no nothing. But one day he will understand.

Congrats to you and Sam. Hoping to do the same with my son come December. Great memories are made between a Dad, his son, and bad weather hunting.

I love it! Congrats to Sam and dad on a great hunt! That will absolutely be a day that neither one of you will forget!

I should have taken a leaf and covered the hole....didn't think of that till now.
I wouldn`t worry about that! All that hole shows is that Sam made a perfect shot!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back