Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

My 2017 Archery Bull - Story & Pics

MountainmanZ

As hunters I think one of the major injustices we do ourselves is not sharing the story / context behind a hunt, or not supplying some helpful content. I've been swamped with work and cutting meat, but I'd like to share a little more of the story, without it getting too long (oops)!

So.... to spite the short season, I feel I did plenty to earn this one! Scouting trips, poring over maps over and over, confirming thoughts with friends willing to share their input all lead up to this season's success. I estimate I put on 36 hard miles in a short amount of time, hiking through the thickest dead-fall I have ever faced, bombing into deep drainages after elk, crawling up steep shoots, being on the verge of dehydration, avoiding grizzlies, encountering wolves at 20 yards, much of the time solo.

This opportunity could easily have been blown, but both patience and persistence in the right combination paid off. It had already been an exhausting trip. I had consumed almost five gallons of water in the couple days I'd been on the mountain.

FAST FORWARD to when I find myself face to face with this awesome animal. I was kneeling in front of some cover. As I drew my bow the bull paused behind some trees. I was surprised he'd caught the movement. I'd been here before, so I prepared for the aches that come from holding a bow at full draw for five minutes. Fortunately, the bull began to move again after only 30 seconds or so. I had taken position just off the trail, and wondered just how close this encounter might end up being! Luckily the bull stopped again at about six yards, facing right at me. As he was studying the odd ball of camo in front of him I found myself extremely focused as I held my pin dead-steady on a small area of his chest filled with arteries and veins leading into his vitals. I did not notice my heart attempting to pound out of my chest, which occurs sometimes. There were a couple small limbs keeping this from being a perfectly clean shot. I hoped the bull would take just one more step, but I judged it wasn't going to happen, so I concentrated hard on threading the arrow through the limbs and began applying pressure to the release.

In an instant the well tuned arrow completely disappeared into the chest of the bull. I still have a still-frame in my mind of the gush of blood that exploded from his chest as he turned to run. Graphic, I know, but I can't tell you the relief and reassurance this would bring me later as I sat waiting to track the bull. As the bull turned to his right to run he uprooted a 7' tall pine that was growing beside the trail, carrying it away in his rack!

I was dead cool during the shot, but then completely lost it as the bull disappeared into the timber. A wave of emotion bombarded me, and I hit the ground. It really is difficult to put into word. The intensity of what I felt. Like all the suffering, frustration, struggle, joy, accomplishment from past seasons gets balled up in your chest, and then the ball suddenly explodes! I can't do it justice.

After quivering on the ground like a fool for a couple of minutes I gave my hunting partner a big hug, probably cussed more than I should have, and babbled with emotion.

(This is getting long) As I approached the point of impact I could see the blood on the ground. I followed the trail for about five yards, ducked under some low branches, was looking at the blood spattered ground, when my hunting partner said, "Hold on." I glanced up, and 60 yards ahead I could see a light rump laying in the tall grass, along with one large beam sticking up in the air. This was cause for another celebration!

The blood trail to the elk was essentially a pink pathway that I could have felt myself along, let alone followed visually. Near the bull we came across an uprooted tree. Both of us were amazed, and glanced around for the hole it was plucked from. Suddenly it came back to me! That was the tree I'd seen in the bull's antlers as he disappeared out of sight! He ripped it out of the ground, and carried it 60 yards to where he'd fallen. I ran back to confirm the hole near the trail.

We got to work moving meat away from the carcass. I was already pretty beat before all of this unfolded, but the work had only begun! We crawled out of the drainage with our first load of meat around 2:00 am, and a much needed drink was in order.

I couldn't have asked for a prettier bull, but a rack isn't much of a trophy to me without a good story. A story that includes dedication, hard work, preparation, a clean harvest, and some adventure thrown in makes that rack on the wall even more special.
2017-elk-1 by Zach Even, on Flickr

The tree the bull uprooted, and carried 60 yards in his rack.
tree by Zach Even, on Flickr

My first glimpse of the bull!
first-look by Zach Even, on Flickr

The blood trail.
blood-trail by Zach Even, on Flickr

Pulling a 32" arrow that got full penetration on a frontal shot. It was quite a site to see the lighted nock appear from the chest cavity.
arrow by Zach Even, on Flickr

Grizzly tracks that shared my trail for two miles.
grizzly-track by Zach Even, on Flickr

No easy way out of here but straight through this.
deadfall by Zach Even, on Flickr

His seconds might be my favorite feature, but whale tales, and wide 4ths are cool too.
side-view by Zach Even, on Flickr

My very FIRST selfie. The high schoolers I teach can't believe I've never taken a selfie with my phone. I told them I was waiting for the right time.
First-Selfie by Zach Even, on Flickr

Trophy shot!
meat by Zach Even, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well that's a cool story congrats...but a little disappointed I can't see pics

Photobucket sucks. Great story and congrats. Just wish I could view the pics.

Stevie Wonder could follow that blood trail. What broad head did you use? An axe maybe? Great Bull

That is what I dream of. One helluv a hunt you had. Really enjoyed this post. Some day I have to get into the high country and chase elk.

That is a sweet bull! Congrats and thanks for the great write up.

Stevie Wonder could follow that blood trail. What broad head did you use? An axe maybe? Great Bull

Haha! I actually used a Rage Hypodermic +P. I hand-sharpened them out of the package. I started shooting them for antelope, and just carried them over to elk season. My hunting partner was just barely able to get his fingers on the nock through the entrance hole to pull it out. I contribute a lot of it to my setup and arrow as well. I have a 31 3/4" draw, 70 pound limbs, shooting a Goldtip Pierce 250 shaft (475 grains in total) at 298 fps, so my setup works with them. I use and like all kinds of heads, such as the Magnus, QAD Exudus, etc. That ballistic collar on the Pierce, followed by such a narrow shaft out penetrates thicker arrows weighing quite a bit more coming out of the same bow.

I also did a lot of research on that frontal (killed my bull last season with it as well, at 12 yards). You shouldn't take it if you don't know exactly what you're looking for.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the congrats. I like sharing stories with people who appreciate what we're doing out there.

Great story, not too long at all and an enjoyable read. That is a beautiful bull and nice photos as well, thanks for taking the rest of us along on your hunt. I hope you include that bloody tree in the taxidermy mount ....... that is if you had a logging permit.;)

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back