MT, Wolves, Hunter Orange

That makes WAY more sense! I wonder why they did not just write it like that in the regulations?

Crystal clear there, clear as mud in the Reg. Apparently the FWP offices all need to get on the same page as well, The Helena office told me Sept 15.

. . made my head numb. . .I've said it before, I don't know how you MT guys keep up with all the rules/changes all the time.:)

I tried to figure out what MGF&P regs meant the first time I went out to hunt with a friend.....gave up trying to interpret and just did what he said as he had been hunting MT for 20 years.......still ended up with a $50 fine from a warden who was kin to him......apparently got off light because of no intent to violate.
So maybe you experts can tell me-----this was almost 30 years ago----does the antelope tag "go" with the mountable head or go with the meat given to a mutual friend?? Meat given away only because we were leaving to drive home (30 hours min) and there was not time to flash freeze or otherwise process on a kill made about two hours before we had to leave. We DID have to leave!

The tag always stays with the meat in Montana.

If you drop it off at a processor or with a friend - the tag is with the meat.

The tag always stays with the meat in Montana.

If you drop it off at a processor or with a friend - the tag is with the meat.

Then, after the meat gets in the freezer, keep the tab there. Then after the meats gone put the tag on the horns. It must stay with the largest remaining portion.

Question: How do the presence of binocular holders packs or packstraps effect the 400 inch rule? Kansas requires 200 inches plus a hat. I feel liked have to have two vests to meet the requirements. One for me and one for my pack.

To be more precise, Kansas regulations require deer hunters (and Elk too!!) 100 square inches in front, and 100 in back must be visible, along with the blaze orange hat. Several blaze orange vests that I have probably don't have 400 square inches in the whole vest, and thus wouldn't keep me out of hot water in Montana.

That is what we did, left the tag with the meat so mutual friend could transport from Baker to home in Billings for processing....we had the head for mounting.....cut down thru SD on way home so son could see Rushmore. Road block for all hunters at rest stop. Fugging FED was threatening Lacy Act but there was a Montana officer there. Told him where we were hunting and with a friend....he asked the name of the folks we were hunting with and said come with me. After we got away from Fed, he said Jim is my second cousin but I am gonna have to give you a ticket anyway to keep Fed off your back. He did call Jim to verify.
Worked out okay , I guess!

Here is what I was told on the phone with the HQ office here in Helena, Mt:

Hunter orange is ONLY required to hunt wolves during the General deer/elk season... AFTER the general season closes, hunter orange is NO LONGER required... Regardless of weapon choice...

I am gonna have to give you a ticket anyway to keep Fed off your back.

That is BS, tag stays with the meat in MT. I donate quite a few deer to non-hunting friends and have had the pleasure of transporting deer others have shot through check stations in MT. Here's my experience and how I handle it.

One season my family and I were out on a hunt and we killed 5 deer, 2 of them mine. Since I was headed to the processor anyways everyone threw their deer in my truck and gave instructions for cutting. On the way I went through a check station and the bio there said if you do this again you need a signed letter from whoever shot the deer, and that enforcement would not be happy if they found me without one. So next year we do the same thing and this time I write a letter saying that I was transporting deer my family had shot to the butcher and had them all sign the bottom. Same check station, same bio. I whip out the letter and he wasn't happy with it, he says you need a signed letter for each animal saying exactly what it was as well as the date and district of harvest: John Doe is transporting my 4 point whitetail harvested 11/1/13 in district XXX to a processor for me.

If donating an animal I write a similar letter saying I have donated the meat from that animal to the individual and leave the letter with the tag and meat (usually does for me). So if you had a head/cape I would write another letter with all the harvest info as well as contact info of the person holding the meat and now the tag, and have them sign it. If you have time photocopy your tag. I can't see how they could give you any kind of a ticket then.

he says you need a signed letter for each animal saying exactly what it was as well as the date and district of harvest: John Doe is transporting my 4 point whitetail harvested 11/1/13 in district XXX to a processor for me.
Having a letter while transporting another hunter's deer may not be a bad idea, but I see nothing requiring it in the Transport of Wildlife section of the regulations. All it says is it can be done as long as the animal is properly tagged, meets evidence of sex requirements, and was lawfully taken.

Having a letter while transporting another hunter's deer may not be a bad idea, but I see nothing requiring it in the Transport of Wildlife section of the regulations. All it says is it can be done as long as the animal is properly tagged, meets evidence of sex requirements, and was lawfully taken.

I just make sure I do it. It helps answer questions a warden may have.

That's what I thought too, as I had my son Jeff's tagged turkey in my cooler when a friend and I were hunting antelope. The game warden went so far as to interrogate both of us separately, thinking one of us shot the turkey and put someone else's tag on it. Luckily the warden was able to reach Jeff by cell phone and confirmed that he had taken the turkey and left it with us. We were supposed to have a written statement verifying the tag holder had allowed someone else to possess the game. Anyhow, it was a long process of interrogation and suspicion merely to ascertain that two senior citizen hunters were law-abiding Viet Nam veterans and not trying to poach a turkey.

Then, after the meat gets in the freezer, keep the tab there. Then after the meats gone put the tag on the horns. It must stay with the largest remaining portion.

??? No mention of tagging the antlers. It stays with the largest remaining portion of meat not antlers.

"The properly validated license must
remain with the meat (including cold
storage) until consumed. If quartered,
the license should remain with the
largest portion of the carcass"

??? No mention of tagging the antlers. It stays with the largest remaining portion of meat not antlers.

"The properly validated license must
remain with the meat (including cold
storage) until consumed. If quartered,
the license should remain with the
largest portion of the carcass"

Yep. I throw mine away after the meat is gone. Always have.

Am I wierd? I have saved my tags for a long time. Got a big bag full of em. mtmuley

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back