MT, Wolves, Hunter Orange

jryoung

So was looking at the wolf regs and saw that the general season starts September 15th. How does it work for hunter orange requirements if you are archery hunting and have and elk, deer, bear and wolf tag in your pocket and it is after September 15th? If you are carrying a wolf tag does that automatically require you to wear hunter orange? See underlined section below.

Hunter Orange
• Firearm Hunters
- Any person hunting or accompanying a hunter as an outfi tter or
guide must wear a minimum of 400 square inches of hunter orange
(fl uorescent) material above the waist, visible at all times. Hunter
orange is not required after December 01, 2013.
• Archery Hunters
- A licensed bowhunter pursuing wolf during the Archery Only Season
or in archery only hunting district is not required to meet the hunter
orange requirement even if there is a concurrent fi rearm season
in that hunting district or portion of district. However, bowhunters
hunting during any portion of the general season (fi rearm) for wolf
must always wear a minimum of 400 square inches of hunter orange
(fl uorescent) above the waist, visible at all times.

So was looking at the wolf regs and saw that the general season starts September 15th. How does it work for hunter orange requirements if you are archery hunting and have and elk, deer, bear and wolf tag in your pocket and it is after September 15th? If you are carrying a wolf tag does that automatically require you to wear hunter orange? See underlined section below.

Hunter Orange
• Firearm Hunters
- Any person hunting or accompanying a hunter as an outfi tter or
• Archery Hunters
in that hunting district or portion of district.
However, bowhunters
hunting during any portion of the general season (fi rearm) for wolf

Try this part

I think I got it, we're outside the Archery Only Season, but the reference to HD is all the HDs in the Sept 7 - Oct 20 time frame that are archery only for DEA. Correct?

In summary, If I am bowhunting during the archery only period (Sept 7-Oct 20) in HD 3xx (but after September 15th) for deer or elk but also have a wolf tag in my pocket I am exempt from orange.

I know with bears you absolutely do need orange after the 15th. But the way I read that you don't for wolves, as long as you're using a bow. Odd they made that distinction.

For bears I just keep orange in my pack when elk hunting, so its handy if my elk hunt turns into a bear hunt.

So just to clarify.... I am archery hunting elk on 17 Sept. I have my rifle strapped to my back pack just in case my hunt changes. Am I legal to drop my pack get the rifle out and put on orange to pursue wolf/ bear?

This is how I interpret this but I want to make sure that I am not reading it wrong.

It says that if you are hunting during the general season for wolves then you must wear orange.... general season for wolves is Sept 15. The way I read it you need to have orange on for wolves or bears after Sept 15 whether you are hunting them with archery or rifle.

It says that if you are hunting during the general season for wolves then you must wear orange.... general season for wolves is Sept 15. The way I read it you need to have orange on for wolves or bears after Sept 15 whether you are hunting them with archery or rifle.

Hof, hows your reading skills?

orange requirement even if there is a concurrent firearm season
in that hunting district or portion of district

Maybe they should of just said, if your bowhunting, and it's bow season, then don't worry about orange.

However, bowhunters hunting during any portion of the general season (firearm) for wolf
(fluorescent) above the waist, visible at all times.

That is fine if you only read that portion of it... How are your reading skills???? HOWEVER, BOWHUNTERS HUNTING DURING ANY PORTION OF THE GENERAL SEASON FOR WOLF (firearm) MUST WEAR A MINIMUM OF 400 SQUARE INCHES OF HUNTER ORANGE ABOVE THE WAIST, VISIBLE AT ALL TIMES.

General firearm season for wolves starts Sept 15 correct? So wouldn't any date after that be a portion of the general season for wolf? Not many of us hunt in "archery only" districts. Just because it is archery season for deer and elk does not mean that it is an archery only district. Archery only season for wolves is Sept 7- Sept 14.

The way you re-wrote it would be much more simple, however you cannot just take one portion of the reg and leave out the rest. I think the second half contradicts what the first part says.
If you would like transcripts to verify my reading skills I would be more than happy to oblige.

So bow hunters hunting during the general wolf season must wear orange. Sept 15- Mar 15

I think I got it, we're outside the Archery Only Season, but the reference to HD is all the HDs in the Sept 7 - Oct 20 time frame that are archery only for DEA. Correct?

In summary, If I am bowhunting during the archery only period (Sept 7-Oct 20) in HD 3xx (but after September 15th) for deer or elk but also have a wolf tag in my pocket I am exempt from orange.

I beleive JR's interpretation makes the most sense.

Hunter Orange
• Firearm Hunters
- Any person hunting or accompanying a hunter as an outfitter or
• Archery Hunters
in that hunting district or portion of district. However, bowhunters
hunting during any portion of the general season (firearm) for wolf

I think this is written a little confusing because I believe it means bowhunting wolf during General Deer and Elk Firearm Season.

Probably could just call them up and get the low down to make sure you are legal though.

However, bowhunters hunting during any portion of the general season (firearm) for wolf must always wear a minimum of 400 square inches of hunter orange (fluorescent) above the waist, visible at all times.

This is the part that I think makes you wear it after Sept 15. And why would they specify bowhunters hunting during general wolf season if that is not what they meant?

Generals firearm season for Wolf starts Sept 15.

I will call to make sure, I am willing to eat my words if I am wrong... but I am not wrong very often ;)

However, bowhunters hunting during any portion of the general season (firearm) for wolf
(fluorescent) above the waist, visible at all times.

Means: If your using your bow, in a general firearm season, and are trying to hunt wolves, you need to use orange.

It does not refer to the general wolf season. There's already a provision in there covering that. If that wasn't the case why would they say a thing about it?

In Montana we refer to the General Season as the 5 week rifle. I know that they called the wolf season the general too, and that part was confusing for those that don't know what our General firearm season is.

I was born and raised in Montana, I know how we refer to it.

I just got off the phone with MT FWP, I was told you have to wear orange if pursuing a wolf with archery or firearm between Sept 15 and Dec 31.
I think the part that is confusing you is that you are separating the general season for wolf because of the (firearm) in the middle. Take that out and see if you understand it now.... () indicates additional information that should not break the context of the sentence. Therefore bowhunters must wear orange during the general wolf season.

I will have it in my pack starting before sunrise on the 15th.

I just got off the phone with MT FWP, I was told you have to wear orange if pursuing a wolf with archery or firearm between Sept 15 and Dec 31.
I think the part that is confusing you is that you are separating the general season for wolf because of the (firearm) in the middle. Take that out and see if you understand it now.... () indicates additional information that should not break the context of the sentence. Therefore bowhunters must wear orange during the general wolf season.

Thanks for the clarification. The M,S,G orange requirements are the same way so it does make sense they would do the same for wolf. The way I was reading it had me azz backwards.

That makes no sense. I've got a call into the region 2 head game warden.

I just got off the phone with our region 2 head game warden. He told me the intent was that no archer was to be burdened with orange during the general (there's that term again) archery season, or special archery only seasons. Just as the provision was written.

He said that no warden would ticket any archer that plugged a wolf during those seasons.
even if it was after Sept. 15.

I just want us to all know the letter of the law, just in case any of us get the opportunity to shoot one with our bow. It only takes one over ambitious warden that wants a hero shot in the paper to ruin your trophy. It would suck to end up incriminating yourself while celebrating a wolf kill with the stick and string!

Hopefully I will stick a wolf before the 15th so I don't have to worry about it!!! :)

Actually here's the letter of the law. The last part of HB 73 that was passed this last session. The part that dealt with orange.
http://leg.mt.gov/bills/2013/billpdf/HB0073.pdf

Section 6.
Section 87-6-414, MCA, is amended to read:
"87-6-414. Failure to wear hunter orange while big game hunting.
(1) Except as provided in
subsection (3), a person may not hunt any big game animals
in this state or accompany any hunter as an outfitter
or guide under any of the provisions of
the laws of this state without weari
ng as exterior garments above the waist
a total of not less than 400 square inches of hunter
orange material visible at all times while hunting.
(2) As used in this section, "hunter or
ange" means a daylight fluorescent orange color.
(3) This section does not apply to a person hunting:
(a)
with a bow and arrow during
the special archery season; or
(b) wolves outside the general deer and el
k season as authorized by commission rules
(4) The department shall make rules to implement this section.
(5) A person convicted of a violation of this se
ction shall be punished by a fine of not less than $10 or
more than $20."
Section 7. Effective date.
[This act] is effective on passage and approv

Back