Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

MT Spring Bear Hunt

Another reason I would recomend trying to find some open country is that it seemed like when I hunted there was alway someone hiking,biking, or walking there dogs on the logging roads.Maybe that dosnt bother the bears,I dont know im not much of a bear expert. I am certain that if the weather is good (rained everyday I was there) and there isnt alot of snow,you hunt hard I dont think having a chance at a bear would be a problem within 5 days of hunting.

Adding a piece of an old iso-mat to sit on when glassing. Thanks for the tip.

Your clothing list is pretty similar to what I use. I also always bring along at least one extra base layer top to change into when I get to my glassing spot. I tend to sweat a lot when hiking up the steep stuff around here. No matter how many jackets I have on, if my base layer is soaked, I will be cold while I am siting glassing.

I know I mentioned it to you before, but if you end up hunting those wilderness canyons we talked about, you will want to bring a pair of lightweight wadders such as wiggys to cross the creeks. Those canyons have lots of slides and open grassy cliff areas to glass but to really see them well you must cross to the other side of the creek and gain some elevation. Get on google earth and find some open points or rock slides on the south side of the creeks and put yourself at "ground level view" to get a good idea of what you can see from that spot.

Neoprene gloves can be nice in the wet spring. As for crossing creeks/cricks etc I just carry 4 of the 33 gal garbage bags. Work for toting meat and quick and easy to pull on for a quick crossing.

spring11023.jpg

Then again sometimes a cool spring bath isn't all that bad...grin

Good eye on the pants, I'm into all the new trendy wear...grin

Hunted hard for ten days at the end of May, but couldn't close the deal on the bears that we saw. Had a blast though and learned alot for the next time we go. Saw everything from mountain goats to mountain lions. Wish I would have got a pics of the lions, I was only 80yds from a pair of them on an old logging road, but I was more concerned about where my rifle was. Here are a few pics from the trip. Thanks again to everyone that gave me advice.

Spring Bear Hunt Pics

Here are some pics from my trip to NW Montana. Finally go the pics figured out.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 496
  • photo-5.JPG
    photo-5.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 499
  • photo-4.JPG
    photo-4.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 503
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 518
  • image-2.jpeg
    image-2.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 506
  • image-1.jpeg
    image-1.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 503
Last edited:
Looks like you had a grand time, which is what matters most. Now that you have learned a spot or two, your odds of tagging a bear next time are much higher.

Thanks for sharing.

Wow, you weren't kidding about the bad weather. It is hard to believe that I was hunting the same area the week before and we were complaining about the 90+ degree heat! I am glad you had a good time and hopefully next time I will be around so we can get a hunt in together.

Back