Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

MT opener

From the sounds of this thread it seems no one is hunting montana this year.
So in my small group of friends hunting here in Montucky a friend's wife and a co-worker both shot 280 class bulls on the evening of opening day so there was some overnight and morning pack outs going on. I on the other hand took out my son and daughter and we hiked some good country, some some cool stuff, found plenty of fresh elk sign, and saw zero huntable elk. As a side note I saw zero other hunters on the mountain, 2 camps along the road in plus 1 other truck.

Eventful opening weekend with the wife filling her antelope tag Friday and her cow elk tag this afternoon. Should be fun hunting this cold stretch coming up in a couple days.

Spent a couple nights in the backcountry. Had 2 bulls on the AM of the opener at about 700 yards, took too long to decide on them before they fed back in the timber (small 5x6 and raghorn). Otherwise a lot of gunshots, 3 guys killed decent 5x6’s. And heard a dozen other shots throughout the weekend. Lots of bugling on the opener and into to this morning. All in all it was a pretty action packed hunt. Trying to save some days for when the snow starts falling and hopefully the big boys start moving.

I missed opening weekend last year for my brother’s wedding, and I was a lot less bummed than I thought I’d be. This year, I accepted an incredibly gracious offer by a buddy to bird hunt his uncle’s ranch and was glad to stay away from the orange army. Brought a rifle just in case, but with a deer camp planned in 2 weeks I wasn’t planning on using it, but then this guy came out and I couldn’t let him walk.

IMG_2925.jpeg

Fattest deer I’ve ever seen; there was so much fat on his heart I think his eating habits would’ve killed him if I didn’t!

Second opener in a row I had to miss. This time for a work conference in New Orleans, which was actually a blast (not the work part, but the rest of it). I'll get out this week and drop a six point. 😂🤣

That was an great thread, hope we have some more late season threads like that this year

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back