MT Opener Success

thecrittergitter

Well, I know someone is going to ask what the heck I'm doing elk hunting when I have a Moose tag in my pocket. Well, two reasons.
1. Drake took time out of his schedule to help me with my Mountain goat so I figured I would try and return a little of that by helping him pack out his elk.

2. My son Braden has been just dying to go elk hunting and with the weather and opportunity to help Drake, this seemed like the best opportunity to get him into seeing some elk.

So, we packed up the food, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, etc.....and headed out friday night for Bradens first "real" elk hunt.

This kid was so wound up, he couldn't sit still. Love seeing the excitement this kid has for this stuff.

This was his first campout and for an 8 yr old, figured there would be a little complaining about something............but nothing. Not a complaint all weekend except yesterday morning he finally said his toes were cold:) And considering mine were numb, I figured it was a valid comment.

So here we started off getting him tucked in for the night:)

Attachments

• 1-1.jpg
    1-1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,001
  • 2-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,003
Then up and at em for some oatmeal to get us going for the day. I conveted my Mystery Ranch Lid for my CrewCab into a little daypack for him.

Then we were hiking up to glass. Right away we put the glass on a group of elk that had 13 bulls in the bunch. I just about busted up laughing when I saw him looking in the spotter and it went from just looking, to looking with a huge smile on his face:) A smile that says something is about to die:)LOL

And considering Drake went up that ridge while we were on our ridge, we knew he was in prime time position, just like we had planned it!

Attachments

• 3-3.jpg
    3-3.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,004
  • 4-4.jpg
    4-4.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 999
  • 5-5.jpg
    5-5.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 997
As the elk started heading Drakes direction, we noticed him standing on the ridge looking like he was about to get run over by a mob of about 60 elk:)

We watched Drake pretty much dissappear in a wall of elk and then BOOM.....and Braden says......"YES! " Love it.

So I said we would give it an hour while he worked on it and then go hike over to help him pack. While we waited a group of the elk branched and came right to us. He did everything in his power to convice me we should shoot one of the bulls coming our way but I asked him if he wanted to shoot a great big one. He of course says yes....and I say, "well if we shoot one of these, we are done for the year, no more chance for a big one.........:) So we let em go...:)

Then we hiked over to help Drake with his bull.

Attachments

• 7-1.jpg
    7-1.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 993
  • 6-1.jpg
    6-1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 990
Stuffed a pack for Braden and away we went. He packed that dang pack stuffed to the gills all the way back to the truck. So proud of that little sucker.

49 lb kid packing 30 lb back pack with no waist belt:):) 1.5 miles, pretty steep terrain.

Never complained a bit!

And then at the end...........one tired kid:)

What an awesome experience for this little guy.

Attachments

• 9-1.jpg
    9-1.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 977
  • 10-1.jpg
    10-1.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 973
  • 11-1.jpg
    11-1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 969
  • 12-1.jpg
    12-1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 965
Sheer awesomeness! Well done! Though not quite as enigmatic, I'm taking my oldest with me for the gun opener here in Indiana. Hope we have as good a time.

Way to get the kid involved. I was raised the same way. My dad took me everywhere when I could barely walk. I am sure you are creating a hunting monster.

very nice. Great job. I was that boy 35 yrs ago and its still in my blood to this day, some of my lifes best memories for sure. He will remember those times forever!

Back