Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

MT Bighorns District 303 Gardiner

First order of business is good luck!

Very difficult hunt and chances of success are pretty dismal unless you have an incredible amount of time to scout pre-opener.

Done it a few times about 15 years ago. Kind of boring......you're mostly waiting for sheep to come out of the Park. Not the best area for a non-resident with a limited time frame to hunt. I did meet a guy once who's non resident son and daughter both took rams the same year. Luck played a big part in that success but you still have to be out there hunting to get lucky. So, good luck to you!

Last edited:
I spent a lot of time in that area a few times scouting for a couple goat hunts with buddies and we did see several rams in July and August.

Come late August and early September through early October I never saw a single sheep.

Not trying to discourage you, just passing on what I observed a few years ago.

I'd say do a little research, scout if you have time, go and have a fun week of camping and hope ya find a sheep. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

If was easy, would be 500 hunter lined up shoulder to shoulder. If you want to go onto the mountain with a bighorn ram tag in your pocket then MT unlimited units offer instant gratification.

Speak with some hunters who have undertaken hunts for rams in that unit. I do not recall the specific unit but have read several recaps over the years and the common theme was physically challenging with lots of glassing and isolation for days upon days. Staying focused for more than 4 days while eating MRE's and sleeping in a light tent is not for everyone, especially if you are not seeing critters.

Good luck if you go on one of the unlimited hunts. Post the good, bad and ugly in a recap, hopefully along with a wonderful picture of the mountain.

Might be worth a fly over to scout it out. Can't hunt the same day of course, but at least you'll have a good place to start. Those drainages are pretty rugged.

Might be worth a fly over to scout it out. Can't hunt the same day of course, but at least you'll have a good place to start. Those drainages are pretty rugged.

Call me old school, but I personally prefer to scout on the ground with a spotting scope. But even if you are OK with plane scouting, the sheep are usually in the timber in this unit. Waste of time and money IMO. Also this unit is the least rugged of all the unlimited units. It can be crowded however, in the area that over laps with an early rifle deer and elk unit.

The areas of this district that is easy access and most people go are on the park line. Sheep are killed there but that's not the only place that holds sheep. the rugged areas of this district, which there is a lot of, hold sheep but are scattered thin. the district is big so don't fall in love with the park line. I have killed two rams in this district and my son has killed one. Only one of those came from the park line.

The areas of this district that is easy access and most people go are on the park line. Sheep are killed there but that's not the only place that holds sheep. the rugged areas of this district, which there is a lot of, hold sheep but are scattered thin. the district is big so don't fall in love with the park line. I have killed two rams in this district and my son has killed one. Only one of those came from the park line.

unlimited sheep hunter, you have been quite successful in an unlimited unit. I have been looking into these units for a couple years now. How much time did you spend in the unit scouting and hunting to be as successful as you and your son have been?

Have a bit of an advantage there in that I live in the district and spend lots of time in the mountains. It's unlimited because it is so hard of a hunt but not impossible. Plan on covering lots of country and stay positive keep hunting when the rest give up.

Have a bit of an advantage there in that I live in the district and spend lots of time in the mountains. It's unlimited because it is so hard of a hunt but not impossible. Plan on covering lots of country and stay positive keep hunting when the rest give up.

Hey, USH, welcome to the forum. So.. you live in the Gardiner area, eh? I grew up there. We have to know each other, right? There are only so many Gardinerites.

Last edited:
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back