Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Moving to Wyoming...FINALLY!!!

I haven't posted on here in quite a long time. After my last tour in Africa, we've been right out straight with me being on the road constantly and trying to keep up with our two young kids, buuuuut... after 11 years Active Duty, I've gotten hired in an AGR position in Cheyenne, Wyoming. For those non-mil types, it means basically I'll be fulltime military in one place presumably the remainder of my career. The wife and I are PUMPED to say the least. It's not Montana (where she's from), but it's pretty huge and not a long drive to see the family.

We've wanted something like this since we had to PCS out of Big Sky country. I guess I'm wondering where I start for figuring out the land and hunt areas/regs. The Wyoming regs, at least online, don't seem to have all the info I need to navigate seasons and tag allocations.

I'll be in Cheyenne in a matter of a few weeks after a stop in the GF for beers and good steaks at Cattlemans, so I'll certainly have plenty of scouting time this year. Any help though would be appreciated. The research I've done is basically where the BLM/State land is and I've seen some Wilderness areas in the Medicine Bow NF.

I know the resident tag rules are funky (need to wait a year, etc.), but that's less of a concern then simply figuring where and how to hunt this state.

MT elk season was not a total bust this year either, but I missed a good size 5-point with a lot of other close calls. I'm attaching a photo of the valley I spent the first 5 days this year. Dead center is a band of pine tress sloping from upper left to lower right and that's where I ran into a herd the first 45 mins of our 5-day backpack hunt.

Anyway, any basic WY info would be appreciated. Thanks gang!

Attachments

• Elk Season.jpg
    Elk Season.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 244
Sounds like a great situation you've got yourself into. Best of luck in your new area.

Hey thanks everyone. Getting excited about finally settling down somewhere and learning the ins and outs of hunting out there.

Congrats on the new gig. AGR is a pretty awesome program if you can get it. Are you going to the 115 FAB? I know a few folks down there, and you can be assured you will have some fellow hunters as coworkers. Shoot me a PM sometime, I have spent a little time in the Snowys, and am happy to share what I know.

Back