Yeti GOBOX Collection

Moving to MT

Maineguide

My family and I are looking to relocate to Montana, huntng and fishing is a big part of our life. I may be opening up a can of worms here but, I was looking for some ideas on what regions of the state would be best for hunting/fishing big game is my preference.

Montana is a big state with lots of outdoor opportunities. What would probably feel more familiar to you would be the Western part of MT with the Conifer forests.

KootenaiMapUSFS.gif

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this. Over the last year and a half I've gotten to travel the state and spend at least a month in each of the big towns except for Kalispell, and have gotten to check out probably 80 percent of the state's hunting districts.

The conclusion I've come up with is that there really isn't one part of the state that's going to give you more overall opportunity than the others. I'd pick the one animal you'd like to target more often, or the one town that you fall in love with, and go there. You're going to have to burn a bunch of gas to get the whole Montana experience no matter where you choose.

Last edited:
Wow, that's almost an unanswerable question. You want mountains or prairie? Timbered mountains? Alpine mountains? Narrow valleys or big? Heavy timber? Wind or no wind? Lots of snow or little snow? Big city, small town, middle of nowhere?

Elk?
Bear?
Whitetails?
Antelope?
Mule Deer?

Some areas offer all of these. Some areas offer better quality of a few of these. You could spend two weeks touring the state and still have a hard time making up your mind.

Good luck!

Being from Maine you would probably enjow NW Montana (Kalispell area). Very good whitetail hunting, OK elk hunting, good bear hunting, mt lion hunting and wolf hunting. Tons of public land and low hunting pressure if your willing to leave your truck. Lot's of trollers up there with all of the logging roads. Idaho is 2 hours away and you can get OTC tags for deer and elk.

I think 2rocky may be right I dont think I could get used to the prairie. Elk, Whitetail, Mule deer, and Bear in that order. I guess what I am looking for would be good Elk hunting and good Whitetail. No matter where in the state I end up in I will always be closer to Mule and many other species than I am now. Would like to be within an hour of one of the major cities but not in them. P.S thanks for the info

Start Throwing Darts....

WT Range
White-tailed_Deer.jpg

Elk Range
Elk.jpg

Mule Deer Range
Mule_Deer.jpg

Black Bear Range
RangeMap_AMAJB01010.jpg

And There is this other Bear....
RangeMap_AMAJB01020.jpg

Last edited:
He might think the northern part of Blaine county was a stones throw from the edge of the earth.

Probably want to look at Seeley Lake to the NW corner.

Do you get to just choose where you live, statewide? If I could live anywhere in the state and make what I make here in billings then I would move to Lewistown for sure. But even then I'd have to drive lots to get to the honey holes that this gigantic state has.

What kind of job allows you to choose basically anywhere to live? I'm thinking Norhwest would be a good fit from your description

I wouldn't forget the fishing possibilities when making your decision. There is a lot of water in the Northwest part of the state, but Southwest Montana is pretty fantastic. Who doesn't love fat rainbows, browns, cutts or grayling?

With me having been born and raised in Montana and hunted most area's, and looking at your ranking of the animals you'd like to hunt, and taking into account you want to be 1 hour from a major city. I'd look at Lincoln, Mt.

With me having been born and raised in Montana and hunted most area's, and looking at your ranking of the animals you'd like to hunt, and taking into account you want to be 1 hour from a major city. I'd look at Lincoln, Mt.

That's what I thought of first too. Decent elk, good whitetail, lots of bear right out your door, and good mule deer hunting within a couple hour drive.

Lincoln's got some weird people, but some real friendly ones too. Easy highway trip to either Missoula or Helena as well.

Last edited:
Check into Choteau, Seeley Lake, and maybe Thompson Falls. Deer Lodge ain't half bad either.
What you will find that really stinks about MT compared to Maine, is you will find that your real estate dollar is about 20 cents on the dollar compared to Maine
Houses in towns are reasonable enough, but if you are like us and must live out of town, you will have to pay dearly. The more I think about it, I like the idea of living in a small town like Glasgow or Fort Benton. Everywhere in MT has great access to hunting /fishing. Good luck

Don't move to Northwest Montana if you want sun in the wintertime. On the other hand the clouds in NW MT generally keep the temperature warmer than the rest of the state which can dip down to 25 below regularly. Some places get wicked winds in the winter too...

The guys that suggested Lincoln could be on to something. Besides the big game, lots of bird hunting fairly close by, both upland and waterfowl. Be advised, get a snowmobile too. mtmuley

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back