Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Mouflon or Ibex

There are other options on Lanai....you can hunt the "pay side" for Mouflon and axis deer as well. Open year round you just have to book your dates in advance(well in advance these days.) You can DIY or hire a guide which I did my first trip.

Just got back from there a couple weeks ago. You won't regret visiting/hunting that island...amazing place. True hunter's and hunter's wife's paradise.

We have been to all the islands and Lanai is my wife's favorite. It doesn't have the waterfalls and bamboo forest, but it also doesn't have the crowds and traffic. In fact it doesn't even have a single traffic light. Old Hawaii.

[QUOTE Just got back from there a couple weeks ago. You won't regret visiting/hunting that island...amazing place. True hunter's and hunter's wife's paradise.[/QUOTE]

Who would you recommend for such a trip ?

I have been looking pretty closely at a combo hunting/vacation trip to Hawaii next March with my wife. I started wanting to go for Mouflon and goats on the Big Island. I have been pretty disappointed to find out that the information I had been reading was no longer valid because of the current eradication operations on the island.

What's been going on there makes me sick. It's no longer the hunter's paradise that it once was.

Is the hunting bow only? This certainly has sparked my interest for a family trip. Is it a physical hunt that is too hard for kids? Beautiful animals.

Is the hunting bow only? This certainly has sparked my interest for a family trip. Is it a physical hunt that is too hard for kids? Beautiful animals.

No, there are state hunts and private side hunts. State hunts are bow, then muzzleloader, then rifle. Private side has bow only areas, shotgun / muzzy areas, rifle areas, and guided hunt only areas. The vast majority of the terrain is steep and rocky. The easiest terrain happens to also be the guided only hunt areas. In the guided area it's a walk in the park.

White is State. All other areas are private side / year-round. Blue is archery. Pink is rifle. Grey is shotgun. Yellow is guided. Light Green is closed zone.

Attachments

• Lanai hunt map.jpg-25%.jpg
    Lanai hunt map.jpg-25%.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Thanks Glass Eye, great info! Deffinitely kick starts things. Now tons of thinking and planning. Its at least a year away but I have been looking for something to combine hunting and vacation. Thanks again for sharing this.

There are other options on Lanai....you can hunt the "pay side" for Mouflon and axis deer as well. Open year round you just have to book your dates in advance(well in advance these days.) You can DIY or hire a guide which I did my first trip.

Just got back from there a couple weeks ago. You won't regret visiting/hunting that island...amazing place. True hunter's and hunter's wife's paradise.

Thanks for the info redwoood and Glass Eye. I had read about the private option, but have not seen anything about current non-guided opportunities. Where can I find more information? My wife is interested in Kauai, but it looks like the best goat hunting there is along the Napali Coast, which looks beautiful, but is only open to archery hunting. We are trying to narrow down an island that we can both get what we want out of a vacation.

alwayshunting..............What does your wife want from her vacation ?

Does she want a secluded beach where the only footprints are yours, and a quiet little town that folds up shortly after sunset ? ( Lanai )
Or does she like hustle and bustle, people watching, shopping in countless souvenir shops, night life, laying by a pool side for hours to obtain that Hawaiian tan ?
Lanai is a 45 minute ferry ride from Maui.

alwayshunting..............What does your wife want from her vacation ?

Does she want a secluded beach where the only footprints are yours, and a quiet little town that folds up shortly after sunset ? ( Lanai )
Or does she like hustle and bustle, people watching, shopping in countless souvenir shops, night life, laying by a pool side for hours to obtain that Hawaiian tan ?
Lanai is a 45 minute ferry ride from Maui.

She is not exactly sure what she wants. She wants the beach, but is not set on being the only person on the beach. She is not too interested in the night life and extremely crowded areas (Oahu from what I have heard). She has interests that are not deal breakers like snorkeling, hiking, and a luau. She also wants to have the opportunity to try the cuisine. The food and hiking are what interests me the most besides the hunting. If I do get the opportunity to hunt mouflon or wild goats are what I am most interested in.

Couple of Mouflon pics from the last trip.

Attachments

• IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 269
  • 20160324_080652.jpg
    20160324_080652.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
This is rediculous. I vowed that I had no reason to go to Hawaii, now I'm researching a future trip. I don't know if I should thank or cuss you guys.

You should go then thank us. Glass eye helped me out when I first started researching a few years ago. Been the last two years and want to be back again already!

And my apologies for the double post.

Great pictures redwood and glass eye. It would be amazing hunting with the ocean in view. Where can I find more about the private land hunts on Lanai?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Failure2Adapt
Back