NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Morels everywhere

mdunc8

So I FINALLY found something worth taking home this spring -- morel and oyster mushrooms. Wandered around for a while today and found a great little patch along the river. Fried up some of the morels, which were great. Anyone have any suggestions for ways to fix either of them up?

Wow, morels are done here by mid April. We always cut them in half, dip in egg, roll in cracker crumbs and fry in butter. Of course, we Okies use that recipe for darn near everything.

I second the egg dip and fry in butter, but i have used shore lunch fish breading, or just plain old flour with some seasoning salt mixed in. I search for them a lot in the spring and found around 12 pounds this year. I did not have much time to look but it seemed like a fairly good year. One year I found 80 pounds of the things and was selling them for $20 a pound as fast as I could pick em.

The kids and I found a few last weekend. I could have picked them all day, but they got bored with it after about 30 min.

morelhunting01.jpg

Here's my daughter. Her lips were blue from eating some blue candy. I told her mom she looks a bit like Smurfette. Hahaa

morelhunting02.jpg

What is funny is if I came out there looking i would not find any because the terrain and kind of trees I look for here do not even exist out there. What elevation you finding them at?

I second what Pat said.Boy those sure look like some good ones.I scoured my town this spring and came up with a total of four.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back