More road closures

I only ever use my ATV on legal roads in order to save wear and tear on my truck.

P1040281.jpg

No one is gonna keep me out of my public lands through massive federal land grabs. You can't make a gate wide enough to stop me.

P1020916.jpg

P1020917.jpg

Dan,

what if by closing those roads, it would increase you chances of killing an elk by over 50%. Would that entice you to support it?

it wont increase my chance of killing an elk,,,I do pretty well on average,whether im packin in on my horses,,,on foot,,,or atv/hike in,,,this isnt about atvs,,,this is about access to our public lands,,,wallowa/whitman already has many travel restriction areas already in place and has one of oregons largest wildernesses{eagle caps} that is horse/hike in only ,,,this is a access issue for people to get to there public lands,,,,I would have to say that the average hunter that still enjoys our national forest problably doesnt stray much more than say 2 miles from a pulic road,,,im sure there are a few di-hards that go further but Im more concerned about the reduction of access to our woods that weve had for many years.

there are always a few out there that damage the resources as dink has pictures of above and you never know what jose quervo will say,,,whether he wants to pull stakes or leave gates open,,,theres always a few out there.

I personally like to set my camp up on the most remote log landing i can find then hike from there,,,this is about access to that remote log landing{2 track} type roads for pickups,rvs,4by4s,ect,,,not just quads.

Dan, if closing those roads, increased the numbers of elk, and the survivability of bulls, say from 10/100 to 20/100, then would agree that road closures were a good idea? If it then allowed for longer hunting seasons from your pathetic 14 days to adding another week, wouldn't that be worth it?

14 days? Try 5. I was in the WWNF last elk season getting my firewood. Most camps off the main road had horses, very few if any had 4wheelers. I would have to see a map before I comment on the closures.

if the longer hunting seasons co insided with the closures it could have posibilitys ,,,but first rifle season is only 4 days,second is only 8 days,bow season does have some time,,,almost no muzzleloader hunts in any of the units effected and in oregon you only have the choice of 1 of the seasons only,,, you cant jump to a rifle season if you did the bow hunt and vice versa,,,also rifle draws are getting tougher to pull every year but that isnt the issue,,,access is the issue,,.odow that is crying about less and less revinue coming in from less people hunting are just slitting there own throats because people have less and less access to there public lands.

I would really like to see a map of the actual closures too,nearly 4000 miles of roads is alot of area getting closed,,,thats not only for hunters during hunting season but firewood gatherers,campers,and other forest users too.

Everything always has to be a conspiracy theory. The public never has any input. The government is locking us out of our public lands. They just started shutting down roads.

I am amazed at how few hunters understand the NEPA process, and how it affects the management of public lands. Everyone would really do well to learn how it works. I finally decided to spend 5 minutes looking for the elusive maps of these road closures, and voila! Imagine my amazement when I saw that this revision of the travel management plan started in 2005, and the first comment period for the public was in 2007! And there were several opportunities to comment.

Here is all the information you need. Choose "Selected Alternative Color Maps" under February 2012 to see what will be closed.

Wallowa-Whitman National Forest Travel Management Plan

Everything always has to be a conspiracy theory. The public never has any input. The government is locking us out of our public lands. They just started shutting down roads.

I am amazed at how few hunters understand the NEPA process, and how it affects the management of public lands. Everyone would really do well to learn how it works. I finally decided to spend 5 minutes looking for the elusive maps of these road closures, and voila! Imagine my amazement when I saw that this revision of the travel management plan started in 2005, and the first comment period for the public was in 2007! And there were several opportunities to comment.

Here is all the information you need. Choose "Selected Alternative Color Maps" under February 2012 to see what will be closed.

Wallowa-Whitman National Forest Travel Management Plan
Yes a 100 times yes!!!! I was lambasted a bit for suggesting that very thing on another board regarding the alternatives for wildlife refuge management plans in CO. I'd bet most that take the time to rant on something on one of these boards never make a valid comment on the NEPA document. :mad:

it wont increase my chance of killing an elk,,,I do pretty well on average,whether im packin in on my horses,,,on foot,,,or atv/hike in,,,this isnt about atvs,,,this is about access to our public lands,,,wallowa/whitman already has many travel restriction areas already in place and has one of oregons largest wildernesses{eagle caps} that is horse/hike in only ,,,this is a access issue for people to get to there public lands,,,,I would have to say that the average hunter that still enjoys our national forest problably doesnt stray much more than say 2 miles from a pulic road,,,im sure there are a few di-hards that go further but Im more concerned about the reduction of access to our woods that weve had for many years.

If there are still more than 2,000 flippin' miles of road in the WWNF, there is still plenty of access.

Last I checked, Danner was an Oregon-based company. Kawasaki was a Japanese-based company.

Why do you hate America?

I have never understood the mentality of fat-assed ATV riders who need to ride in another 10 miles so they can get away from the crowds. If they all stayed on the main roads, they would be able to "get away from the crowds" as soon as they got out of their PU.

there are always a few out there that damage the resources as dink has pictures of above
Why does there have to be any?

if the longer hunting seasons co insided with the closures it could have posibilitys
This made me laugh. Thanks.

This really is old news. We who live in the rural communities who this effects the most have already had our say years back. I'm surprised it's drug on for so long, I thought it was a done deal.

Yes a 100 times yes!!!! I was lambasted a bit for suggesting that very thing on another board regarding the alternatives for wildlife refuge management plans in CO. I'd bet most that take the time to rant on something on one of these boards never make a valid comment on the NEPA document. :mad:

Don't you realize that there's a helluva lot more money to be made in prolonging the problem?

Get with it man!

jose::: do you even know the layout of the wallowa whitman national forest? obviously your uninformed,,,this issue is about closing many roads that have been open for the last 40 years on our public lands.atv damage is never a good thing,,,closing more roads will not reduce that type of impact,,,only more active enforcement will.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back