Montana thinks They don't need to List Sage Grouse

MT, what is the range of a Sage Grouse?
This is the first map I found. I know there are better ones out there that show the historic vs. current ranges, but I am too lazy to locate it right now.

Greater sage-grouse current range map

Can they be protected in one state, and not in the next???
I am not sure on this one. There are some species where this does occur (bald eagle and wolf), but I don't know of any others off the top of my melon. I would venture to guess that this will not be a state by state issue, especially since the petition was for greaters throughout their range.

I don't see the sage grouse getting listed range wide, just don't. However if that is how the petition was written I think it'll get turned down and then comes the state-by-state petitions. Another sagebrush steppe obligate is listed on a state by state basis is the pygmy rabbit. It's listed in OR, but not in UT and is being petitioned here.

Good to see the "range-guy" is out there counting birds
I try get out of the office as much as possible. Besides, looking at strutting grouse makes for a pretty good of work.

PS- I'm not your typical 'range guy'! ;)

The pygmy rabbit that is listed is the Columbia Basin pygmy rabbit. It is a distinct, genetically unique with less than 100 individuals and is only found in Washington.

I guess we could see what splitters do with the greater sage-grouse, but I know the Service already denied the Eastern and Western sage grouse as being sub-species.

It is good to see you are monitoring birds Tyler, I was just showing my jealousy. ;)

I didn't know about sub-species of pygmy rabbit. Thanks. One of the allotments I've been working on is the litmus test for the state as far as habitat use and population measurements. They still haven't figured out how to catch too many of them.

I'd be suprised if a split doesn't occur. I've been told the Gunnison's are totally different, but wonder if it's just an ecotype kinda thing?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back