Montana thinks They don't need to List Sage Grouse

JoseCuervo

State unveils sage grouse management plan
By SHERRY DEVLIN
The Missoulian

Hoping not to get “bit in the backside” by a federal endangered species listing, the state of Montana on Tuesday released its own plan for conserving sage grouse.

“We are so fortunate in this state,” said Jeff Herbert, assistant chief of FWP’s wildlife division. “We still have such tremendous resources out there.”

But it’s frustrating, too, when the federal government announces - as it did last week with sage grouse - that a species is in decline throughout the West and may need protection, Herbert said.

“We keep getting bit in the backside because we still have wolves out there and grizzly bears out there and now, sage grouse out there,” he said. “That is the frustration - when you are sitting at the other end of the universe, working to maintain what you’ve got and enhance what you’ve got.”

In the world of sage grouse, Montana is not the rest of the West, according to the environmental assessment and statewide management plan released Tuesday.

Regionwide, the sage grouse populations are down by 86 percent, the victim of widespread loss of sagebrush grasslands to all manner of development.

But by FWP’s estimation, sage grouse are scattered across 27 million acres of sagebrush grassland in Montana, and inhabit 39 of 56 counties.

Statewide, sage grouse populations increased from the mid-1960s through 1973, then stayed steady until 1984.

Numbers declined sharply from 1991 to 1996, then increased through 2000.

“Sage grouse have significantly declined or have been extirpated in some areas of the state,” the management plan concedes.

“But as a whole, we have a fairly healthy population,” Herbert said. “Our business is to do a good job of maintaining what we have out there and to do so in a way that results not only in continued healthy sage grouse populations, but that maintains human uses as well.”

The federal government’s interest in assessing sage grouse numbers regionally - as a prelude to the species’ protection - could put Montana “in a pickle,” Herbert said.

“Some states have had significant habitat loss, some of which is ongoing,” he said. “Their populations are in tough shape. Then you have places like Montana that still have some fairly good-sized chunks of habitat and healthy bird populations. And we’re all being treated the same.”

The state of Montana’s proposed management plan is adamant that “one size does not fit all sage grouse,” Herbert said. “Even within Montana, there is a good bit of variation.”

Eastern Montana, for example, doesn’t have the same development pressures as do other parts of the state - so the task of maintaining sagebrush grassland ecosystems is more straightforward, he said.

By comparison, southwestern Montana draws more newcomers and their attendant ranchettes, and the development could leave thousands of people sitting atop former sage grouse habitat.

So the approach, the FWP proposes, must be tailored to the area and issue in question.

“We have an opportunity here to maintain this big system, and to do so in a way that accommodates all its various pieces,” Herbert said. “We don’t have to take a bunch of little pieces and try to fit them back together.”

FWP’s sage grouse conservation plans include:

Conservation of 200,000 acres or more of high priority sagebrush grassland by spending $1 million on 30-year leases to some of the best private ground.

Discourage the concentration of livestock on key sage grouse breeding grounds, called “leks.”

Continued hunting of sage grouse, but the adoption of regional regulations, rather than a uniform statewide approach.

Manage prescribed fire in sagebrush habitats so there is no long-term net loss of sagebrush. Fire has been a factor in the loss of mature sagebrush habitat.

Prevent the initial establishment of weeds within or on land surrounding sage grouse habitat.

Educate landowners and the general public about the threat noxious weeds pose to native plants, including the sagebrush on which sage grouse depend.

Herbert said he believes Montana can have it all: sage grouse, sagebrush, livestock grazing, oil and gas development, subdivisions and mining.

“All these uses can be compatible,” he said. “That’s why we are trying to distance ourselves somewhat from the other states.” [/B]

“Montana has a real opportunity to make this a success story,” Herbert said, “and there are a number of folks out there who’ve come to the same conclusion.”

EG,

They are not saying there isn't a problem with Sage Grouse but that there is more that can be done at the state level rather than the federal level. This sounds more like a common sense approach to the issue of Sage Grouse. One size fits all approaches usually are not the best alternative. Kind of like public land grazing, banning cattle from all public land is a bad idea. :D :D :D

“Some states have had significant habitat loss, some of which is ongoing,” he said. “Their populations are in tough shape. Then you have places like Montana that still have some fairly good-sized chunks of habitat and healthy bird populations. And we’re all being treated the same.”

The state of Montana’s proposed management plan is adamant that “one size does not fit all sage grouse,” Herbert said. “Even within Montana, there is a good bit of variation.”

Eastern Montana, for example, doesn’t have the same development pressures as do other parts of the state - so the task of maintaining sagebrush grassland ecosystems is more straightforward, he said.

By comparison, southwestern Montana draws more newcomers and their attendant ranchettes, and the development could leave thousands of people sitting atop former sage grouse habitat.
Out here in Eastern Montana they are doing okay. This past summer and fall I have seen more sage grouse that any time in the past. I have found many of the birds survived the tough winter as well. Most long time residents here say they are seeing sage grouse in places they have never seen them before and seeing larger numbers of them in the birds normal hang outs. I think CRP, some of which has been in the program now for nearly 20 years, is helping in addition we have not suffered the as severe effects of the drought.

The one thing I can't understand is if they are a species of concern or threatened or endangered why is there still a hunting season for them? I find that curious. I have quit hunting them but I know some guys who still hunt them.

Nemont

[ 04-23-2004, 10:58: Message edited by: Nemont ]

Hey Ten Beers,

Funny, but in the Abuse of Power thread, you were trumpeting Federal Law over Local Law....

flip flop flip flop flip flop flip flop flip flop flip flop flip flop

Better than you just going flop flop flop flop flop!!!!!

Good for MT. I think that so many people have compared the sage grouse to the spotted owl that many are driving a proactive plan forward. IMO, this is VERY good.

I'd be suprised if the Greater Sage Grouse would get listed in UT. Much of the data I've seen shows a stable long term trend and a rising short term trend. The Gunnison's Sage Grouse is already listed.

Nemont,

I didn't really have an opinion on this, as I haven't thought we should use Sage Grouse to end grazing. I think there are better Hammers for that nail......

The areas I roam don't seem to have very many, and the few I see, I would never consider killing.

But I agree with 1-Ptr (the man is a friggin genius...), that they may be the next Spotted Owl.

If the ESA gets people to start thinking more proactively, like 1_p said, and not another species needs to be listed, then I'd say it has done it's job. But it's a little disturbing to realize that it takes the threat of a species being listed to make people get off their hands and do something about it.

Oak

Here is what I was doing yesterday morning.

042304_005.jpg

As always, not the greatest pic from the video camera, but you get the idea. This shot was taken from about 200 yards. I would have liked to get closer, but it was not worth disturbing the birds. There were 40 males on this lek. Also notice that the lek is associated with a black-tailed prairie dog town (candidate species).

Anyway, I was very excited to find this lek. It was on historical maps, but had not been visited in over 10 years (BLM and MTFWP have really dropped the ball as far as monitoring sage grouse in this area IMO).

Now for the bad news. I visited 6 other historical leks yesterday morning and only one had birds. Two of the leks were located on private surface and had been converted to CRP --> No Grouse. Another lek used to be 100 yards from where there is now a gas well. I don't know if this is why the birds are no longer are there, but if I were a betting man...

The last lek I found was within a mile of two gas wells and the roads associated with them. I only found 8 males, but it was getting late in the morning and was already pretty windy (not preferred by strutting grouse). Within 1/2 mile of the lek there were hundreds of pin flags. These flags are marking seismic lines that will be thumped or blasted sometime next month.

The onsite for this seismic activity will be next week. It will be interesting to see how industry will take the mitigating timing restrictions.

After my grouse work, I met with industry and approved 6 gas wells (see I am coming around to this multiple use concept). :D

If the greater sage-grouse is listed, look out. The owl won't hold a candle to the grouse. :eek:

Miller- Are the birds just now starting to strut? They're pretty much done in NW UT. I counted for 2 weekends and loved it. An amazing site. One thing on historical leks, the biologist I was working for/with said that the leks are super site specific, even day to day. He's seen them move up to 1/2mi. away by the next day. You're right, if the SG is listed, life in the West will change quick, fast, and in a hurry! I'm guessing my job would be a touch easier! ;)

""Always pull up survey 'pin flags' anywhere you find them"
Good thought, but there goes my job security or a one-way-ticket to Battle Mountain. :D

Are the birds just now starting to strut?
No, it is getting toward the end of the breeding time.

Good to see the "range-guy" is out there counting birds. Hell, our biologists are too busy with gas development and Monument RMP's to get very far from the office. :D Oh well, maybe I will get the money I am requesting for temp. next year to get us up to date on our grouse. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by mtmiller:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> ""Always pull up survey 'pin flags' anywhere you find them"
Good thought, but there goes my job security or a one-way-ticket to Battle Mountain. :D

Oh well, maybe I will get the money I am requesting for temp. next year to get us up to date on our grouse. :rolleyes:
</font>[/QUOTE]I think Battle Mountain still has a Bordello....
hump.gif

Maybe we could just get somebody to sue, claiming the Agency doesn't have "up to date" counts.... ;)

MT, have you read the "Monkey Wrench Gang"?

Man, in the old days, back in college, we had to drive from Boise to the Air Force Academey, and we ended up buying about a case for the two guys in the Camper shell in back. Everytime they would try and pi$$ in the empty bottle, I would swerve the rig....

They finally fell asleep about Rock Springs, and then woke up about Ft. Collins, wanting to see the Budweiser plant.... :eek: ( or is it Miller plant?).

Haven't read the book, but it sounds interesting. Probably not one to put on my shelf at the office though. :D

Flip me a PM with your address, and I'll see if I can stick it in the mail... If Ashcroft catches you buying it via his Patriot Act, you will likely be sent to Guantanomo....

It is actually a good read, in kind of a "period" piece about the '70s and the early thinking of the Environment...

The Budweiser plant is about 5 miles down the road, but I can see New Belgium from here.
drool.gif

Oak

Wylee bought me a Fat Tire on Tuesday, after our Environmentalist meeting for the Owyhee Initative.... Wylee had a MooseDrool, and ol' Moosie went for the BudLight, from just down the road at your house....

If I am gonna drink beer from Colorado, BudLight is not gonna rank too high on my list... The guys at New Belgium seem to have figured out the craft and the Marketing....

MT, what is the range of a Sage Grouse? Can they be protected in one state, and not in the next???

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back