Caribou Gear Tarp

Montana rifle elk hunt?

I think you will do well. If you are going to hunt region 1, and you are a nonres, you can't do better than that district/area. By far, it has the highest success rates of any other district in r1. To put it in perspective, the district I hunt has a whopping success rate of 0%! Seriously. Can't compare outside of region 1 because it all becomes apples to oranges as far as sheer elk numbers.

I don't think it matters early or late either. I've been seeing some pig bulls and bucks coming out of there the past couple years. Mostly rifle. That area is inherently dry enough that you can access a lot of country, takes a lot of snow to really hamper efforts I believe.

And buy a wolf tag too. That is one of the top districts for wolf takes during rifle season too. You might get a pretty cool surprise when you are futzing around over there.

Do you guys that hunt 122/121 regularly think the success rate of 3-7% is accurate? The Montana FWP website is showing 55 elk harvested from 1505 hunters in the Thompson River unit.

Do you guys that hunt 122/121 regularly think the success rate of 3-7% is accurate? The Montana FWP website is showing 55 elk harvested from 1505 hunters in the Thompson River unit.

Absolutely. Low elk densities and high atv-riding hunter density. There are a few elk, but this is not Region 3! Most local hunters have never even got an elk, but a few get one every year.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back