Montana rifle elk hunt?

buckeybowhunter

I have a question for all u elk hunters. I just booked a rifle hunt near plains Montana for the last week of rifle season my question is. Is this a wise choice or should I change dates? This is my first elk hunt don't know much about which week is better than others. Any input would be much appreciated.

Public DIY or private ? Outfitter? I am going last 7 days of the season in 448 HD . Im not elk expert but Im hoping by then they are more concentrated on feeding and maybe will be lower. If your going outfitter I guess id go early but that just my 2 cents, ive never shot a bull only a couple cows but for a bull on public I think later will be better, less pressure, who knows could end up being dead wrong.

Well that's what I am hoping also. We r hunting public land also. Just hope they have moved out of the mountains for us

From my experience the later in the season the majority of the elk are down low if the snow comes. But then the majority of the elk I see down low are cows, spikes, and raghorns. I have seen a few mature bulls down low but I think the big boys will be back either solo in the thick nasty up high recovering from the rut or in some bachelor groups again. I know of a guy who guides up in Plains. Have seen some photos of decent elk, bear, and most recently some cats from him recently. Also, depends if its in a migration area. When the weather hits you can find them all over in the foothills in certain areas. Good luck this season!

I really like that plains area but I know late in the season a lot of those elk will be down low in the private areas which can be to your advantage if you have access onto those areas, if your outfitter dosent have access then it may be very frustrating.

Hey I'd be thrilled with a rag horn but its my first bull . Don't want a spike but rag horn if fine

Are you hunting with Cody Carr or Western Timberline?I live about 50 miles from Plains, and although I don't hunt much near Plains I do run into these guys hunting around here quite often.

Personally, I prefer hunting elk around here earlier in the season. Although that is mostly due to the type of hunting I enjoy. I like to hunt up high and spend my time glassing remote canyons/basins. The access around here usually gets pretty difficult later in the season due to snow. Mature bulls will stay pretty high up until the snow gets deeper than what my truck can handle.

A lot of guys depend on snow to get their elk. They like to drive around until they cut a fresh bull track then hope to catch up to him.

Over the last few years a lot of elk have begun living most of the year on private land in the valley (wolves?) but regardless of what you might hear in the local watering hole there are still elk to be found in the mountains.

It is pretty steep around here so if you want the best chance at being successful make sure you are in decent shape.

Attached are two photos looking down into the Clarks Fork this fall above Plains. As threat mentioned its steep and really brushy in the timber. This year there was no snow during Thanksgiving week. And I seen elk sign up high, but I guess it was a mild winter. Only my first year living in the area, but I don't think it was a "normal" fall/winter. Private access would seem possibly more difficult because a lot of smaller private landowners and no larger land owners. And some areas especially east of plains the fs is broken up into smaller sections. It sounds like a fun hunt.

Attachments

• 20131127_100111.jpg
    20131127_100111.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2,080
  • 20131130_132902.jpg
    20131130_132902.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 2,151
We r hunting with Cody Carr there r 6 of us going. None of us have ever hunted elk so its pretty much a once in a life time hunt for us. Just hope we made the right desicion to go that week. As far as the outfitter I have heard nothing but great things about them.

I would love to kill a big bull but at the end of the day its all about filling the freezer and experiencing the hunt and all the beautiful scenery

The guy I know is Isaiah Joner. I am pretty sure he is a guide anyhow. I actually only know him from Facebook through Rocky Mountain Athlete (soon to be hunter nation). Not in person.

If your going guided then listen to your outfitter not us!!!If that's all he had open, I'd consider asking if you should wait a year for the early season dates to be open

That's just it I wanted to hunt the first riffle season but he said that the last week is a really good week to hunt. Less pressure and if there is snow in the mountains the elk will be in lower grounds and easier to hunt

That guide gets some nice animals, I just would work on getting in shape and finding some good dry/quiet clothes/boots. I will be archery/rifle hunting again this fall over there for elk/deer and spring bear, since its close to home and I can half or full day hunt.

Based on landownership and timber cover I can't see lots of areas except along hwy 128 and Lynch Creek where there is lots of larger private parcels. Most of those areas seem to be smaller. Again, I'm a newcomer and don't have much experience in the area other than working and limited hunting.

We r hunting with Cody Carr there r 6 of us going. None of us have ever hunted elk so its pretty much a once in a life time hunt for us. Just hope we made the right desicion to go that week. As far as the outfitter I have heard nothing but great things about them.

Why does it have to be once in a lifetime? Take what you learn from the guided experience and get in on an OTC elk hunt in Colorado, or some of the generous offerings in Wyoming or Montana or Idaho?

If you're going to be in Plains around Thanksgiving, I'd really hope you're planning on getting some deer hunting in as well.

I am buying the combo tag so yes I am going to deer hunt as well. I Am planning in coming back on my own to hunt elk and deer. Once In a life time means I can only afford to pay for a guide once I'm my lifetime lol.l

Last edited:
Cody Carr is a good outfitter and has some very knowledgeable guides. You guys should have a good time and a decent chance at getting some bulls if you hunt hard. That is a great week to be deer hunting as well. Good luck!

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back