Montana MSG Results...

Although this is my first post, I have been lurking/reading for some time now. I appreciate all the knowledge and experience this site holds. I was finally able to draw a goat tag for Montana after 14 years of applying. Currently planning on two weeks of DIY.......I suppose I should strap the pack on and get back into mountain shape.
Hopefully 2014 turns out to be a good season for everyone.

Although this is my first post, I have been lurking/reading for some time now. I appreciate all the knowledge and experience this site holds. I was finally able to draw a goat tag for Montana after 14 years of applying. Currently planning on two weeks of DIY.......I suppose I should strap the pack on and get back into mountain shape.

Congrats. Hopefully some more guys will have tags and stories to go with them. Thanks for signing up.

That's a heck of a first post! Good luck and post lots of pics and stories!

Trifecta goose egg for the wife and I. A good friend drew a goat tag....maybe he'll let me go with ;)

I feel somewhat compelled to accompany as a sherpa, to repay for some of the voodoo you did out bear hunting.

No MSG tags for me this year, What part of the state is your goat tag for Randy? It may be time for me to head north for a few days to help out.

Do you have a two-seater Ross? I wanna come too.

No luck in the draw for me or anyone I know, but I might be available as a packer/spotter for Randy if he wants the help. I can't think of anything much better than chasing those white beasts up in the high country.

Hope you need some help on this hunt. September looks pretty open and I could use a reason to extend my day hikes further into the mountains.

Let's go kill a goat.

inka06_zps0fc1eeb2.jpg

Since I've already got your goat picked out, can I just walk behind your litter, perk your coffee and carry the zip lock bag with your toilet paper?

Attachments

• IMG_0725.jpg
    IMG_0725.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 236
Since I've already got your goat picked out, can I just walk behind your litter, perk your coffee and carry the zip lock bag with your toilet paper?

Is that the billy we were talking about? He looks like he might be safe if he stays right there.

He looks like he might be safe if he stays right there.
Your sherpas can bear you to the base of the cliff. MinnesotaHunter will piggyback you from there. Relax..... we got you covered.

Moose!

I ended up with an antlered bull moose tag in 104 (Bull Lake) area. I've never hunted that unit before. Has anyone been in there before? I'm going to spend every weekend in there scouting it out, and I can take what ever time I want, so I plan to really make it count this time!

sra61 - I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that unit is probably one of the toughest moose hunts in the state.

I had that tag in 2010 and spent over 20 days in there pre season and 39 days in the unit during the season. I did everything from 5 day backpack trips to driving 100+ miles in a day looking for fresh tracks in the snow. In all that time I saw two young bulls I passed up and three cows and two calves. One of the calves was an albino.

I ran into and exchanged numbers with the other four tag holders and out of the five of us, one lady killed a yearling cow. We all called the biologist after the season and convinced her to change the tag to bull only. A few of us, including me, recommended closing the unit of at least cutting the tags down to one or two.

There are moose in there, but not many, and it has gotten so thick and overgrown with the lack of logging and very wet conditions that they are very hard to find.

There are some locals that work at the forest service office in Troy that you should talk to. Send me your email address and I'll dig through my maps and let you know where I saw the most sign and animals.

Back