Montana Mountain Goat- at wits end

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd offer to take him to kill a goat, but I just got back from wasting a week away from my family to help a friend with their 20+ point elk tag where on 3 occasions they refused to put in any amount of effort to kill a 360"+ bull. And by refuse to put in effort I mean refuse to walk 3/4 mile and 400ft down into a basin, for example. Or when the bull was just over 500 yards away with 30 minutes of shooting light left, refuse to get closer and started walking back to the vehicle because they didn't want to walk after dark. So I'm done with taking people hunting for a while.

Been there.

I went to Colorado a week early to call elk for a college friend that I hadn't hung out with in years. I kept telling him that we would be hunting and camping at high elevation. Burned an extra 5 days of PTO for him to hunt with his bow prior to the muzzleloader season opening up.

He showed up to my house bigger than ever 5-9 #275 with beer bottles rolling out of his truck door and a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. He got altitude sickness on day 1 of the trip and I had to take him off the mountain to the hospital in steamboat because he thought his heart was going to explode. I left him at the hospital and went back up on the mountain. He flew home the next day and never asked to go to Colorado again. I don't waste time on people who don't want to be there anymore. My PTO is too precious. lol

Last edited:
I’ve never actually killed a mountain goat myself so take this with a grain of salt, but I have seen a lot of Beartooth Mountain goats. I think the best way to do it is to get into a spot where you can see a ton of country, set up your tent, close to where you can glass but in a spot that’s comfortable, meaning you aren’t getting blasted by the wind when you are trying to sleep. And then just sit there and spend some time looking around. Stay a few days. Then you can hike with a day pack to different vantages to get different views and angles.
you’ll eventually see goats that you don’t see right away. They move around quite a bit, and pop out of weird places.

They move around quite a bit, and pop out of weird places.
I found this to be shockingly true on the one goat hunt I assisted with. And if it's cool, fair bit of middle of the day movement, esp in the shade. If it's quiet you can also find them by listening for the rock fall they're constantly triggering.

I’ve never actually killed a mountain goat myself so take this with a grain of salt, but I have seen a lot of Beartooth Mountain goats. I think the best way to do it is to get into a spot where you can see a ton of country, set up your tent, close to where you can glass but in a spot that’s comfortable, meaning you aren’t getting blasted by the wind when you are trying to sleep. And then just sit there and spend some time looking around. Stay a few days. Then you can hike with a day pack to different vantages to get different views and angles.
you’ll eventually see goats that you don’t see right away. They move around quite a bit, and pop out of weird places.
Bruh.... he ain't got no mo tent.

Okay, I totally get wanting to rage quit the Beartooths... been there myself a few times when I bit off more than my out of shape ass could chew. But please, for all of the people who didn't draw that tag, take MT Gomer's advice. Go to the REI in Billings, and have them show you how to set up a hammock so you can sleep better.

Go back in (no need for a 17 mile loop either) and get to a point where you can see, then sit your butt down and wear out your eyeballs looking for goats. I guarantee the problem is how you're hunting, not the lack of goats.

I don't why anyone would be pissed at someone else not shooting something.
There's a difference between not shooting something and throwing the towel in with 7 weeks left.

I used to apply my kids for every tag under the sun until my daughter threw in the towel on an excellent elk permit after 1.5 days of hunting. Now, I make sure it's something they're damn interested in before we throw in for a special license. Different strokes for different folks. Not everybody has the same priorities/interests.

There's a difference between not shooting something and throwing the towel in with 7 weeks left.

I used to apply my kids for every tag under the sun until my daughter threw in the towel on an excellent elk permit after 1.5 days of hunting. Now, I make sure it's something they're damn interested in before we throw in for a special license. Different strokes for different folks. Not everybody has the same priorities/interests.
Yes, but isn't everyone entitled to enjoy their permit, however they see fit?

I get that he's not doing what we'd do, but it's his tag, not ours. I'd rather he throw in the towel than shoot a nanny. There are worse alternatives.

@Marshian, I had a sheep tag in the Frank Church Wilderness a long time ago. When the going got tough, I left. At the time, it seemed like the thing to do but I regretted it afterwards. I still didn’t learn my lesson because I did the same thing seven years later. After the immediate challenges of that second tag began to fade, I really kicked myself for not digging in and giving it my all. I would encourage you to explore options and get back in there.

BTW - like others have already said, goats are often not readily visible and suddenly materialize, so spend more time glassing than hiking.

Not that I really care the opinion of internet strangers but the amount of judgement for not enough arbitrary effort is comical. I used my two weeks of vacation and spent double digit days and hiked well over 50 miles in that country. Now I’m out of vacation so barring a weekend getaway (it’s an eight four drive from where I live), I’m making peace with tag soup.

Under this same logic, any resident hunter owes it to all those who for whatever reason very much wish to but can’t live out west to go full HAM every weekend. Anything less is insulting. Despite what many claim, we all have a cut off point. Who here would hike 100 miles for a mourning dove? You wouldn’t?, by gawd that’s blasphemous you pathetic quitter. The machismo and dik slinging on this site is downright hilarious sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrturtle
Back