Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Critters in Weird Places

I’m currently glassing a little miniature pony browsing a burn on a steep hillside in elk country. Guessing it escaped from a hobby farm here in the ‘root. Looks like it’s wearing a little itty bitty bitless bridle.

Question is, how do they taste?

IMG_0162.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m currently glassing a little miniature pony browsing a burn on a steep hillside in elk country. Guessing it escaped from a hobby farm here in the ‘root. Looks like it’s wearing a little itty bitty bitless bridle.

View attachment 301729
Burro? They make good asada tacos.

View attachment 301729
There was a semi or completely feral group of them along the lower Clearwater river in Idaho for years when I was a kid. I’d heard most of them burned up in a fire 15-20 years ago. I was surprised to see one right where they always were when I drove by the other day.

Just spoke on the phone with an adjacent landowner. Apparently the little guy I spotted has been roaming around the area for well over a year, just living his best life. No one seems to have any idea where it came from.

Guess these things are pretty resilient. I can see how invasive populations establish so easily.

Last edited:
In October I saw three feral horses near the archery range in Miller Creek- Missoula. I know there is a herd on MPG that they could've wandered from.

Just spoke on the phone with an adjacent landowner. Apparently the little guy I spotted has been roaming around the area for well over a year, just living his best life. No one seems to have any idea where it came from.

Guess these things are pretty resilient. I can see how invasive populations establish so easily.
I struggle with this, why can't/won't/aren't we/you/the FS/FWP shoot it?

I struggle with this, why can't/won't/aren't we/you/the FS/FWP shoot it?
Heck, part of me wants to go catch him and start a lucrative beer burro wedding business. Apparently people book these little buggers pretty far out.

I’m gonna put some live laugh love signs on him, some frosty IPAs in the panniers, and watch the cash start rolling in.

IMG_0167.jpeg

My mom’s neighbor photographed this bighorn ewe in her pasture near Coeur d’Alene, Idaho a few years ago. She probably came from the Thompson Falls area.

When I was a kid, a mountain goat showed up and hung out down the road a little ways from our place. I suspected it came from the east side of Lake Pend Oreille. Then someone shot it. 😡

View attachment 289813

A mountain goat showed up this year. Good timing for the eagle photographers to get pics. And hopefully some scrutiny for would-be poachers.

View attachment 300259
I found this guy out turkey hunting in the flats of eastern Wyoming. Talked to game and fish, they thought he came over from Nebraska. Number 1 Dream animal of mine to hunt. Originally saw him at 20 yards, they are bigger than I imagined up close.

We hunted NW Nebraska a few years back for turkey. We were glassing for turkeys, and I found myself looking into the cliffs of a platuea out of habit. Sure enough I spotted 2 bighorns. I couldn't believe it, so I stalked in to under 100yd and sure enough it was 2 ewes. Turns out that WMA has a resident sheep population.

A mountain goat showed up this year. Good timing for the eagle photographers to get pics. And hopefully some scrutiny for would-be poachers.

My mom and I just took a drive and saw the goat, probably at least 50 bald eagles, and hundreds of seagulls. The Kokanee spawn must have been pretty good this year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back