Caribou Gear

Montana Mountain Goat- at wits end

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried backcountry camping at an alpine lake that had the trailhead start near the road closure but got weathered out. I’m also beginning to despise backpack camping to the point that I lost my temper at the end and started burning bridges by purposefully destroying my tent and now selling all my backcountry stuff. I’m getting burned out and making peace with tag soup. I may try one more time just as a mega day hike.
On the bright side, the hunting gods must still tolerate me as I bagged a nice antelope on a weekend I didn’t goat hunt.

IMO I’d rather travel light and hike 15-20 miles in a day and get some rest and comfort versus haul all that stuff in on my back and live so minimalistic and uncomfortable. I never enjoyed it, but used to suffer it, and now have vowed and am making good on my promise to myself to never to do it again. Attached is my proof- my Hilleberg tent that I took my knife to (much more slashing came shortly after) and later threw in the garbage. Not my proudest moment but I woke up miserable and had enough. IMG_0350.jpeg

I tried backcountry camping at an alpine lake that had the trailhead start near the road closure but got weathered out. I’m also beginning to despise backpack camping to the point that I lost my temper at the end and started burning bridges by purposefully destroying my tent and now selling all my backcountry stuff. I’m getting burned out and making peace with tag soup. I may try one more time just as a mega day hike.
On the bright side, the hunting gods must still tolerate me as I bagged a nice antelope on a weekend I didn’t goat hunt.

IMO I’d rather travel light and hike 15-20 miles in a day and get some rest and comfort versus haul all that stuff in on my back and live so minimalistic and uncomfortable. I never enjoyed it, but used to suffer it, and now have vowed and am making good on my promise to myself to never to do it again. Attached is my proof- my Hilleberg tent that I took my knife to (much more slashing came shortly after) and later threw in the garbage. Not my proudest moment but I woke up miserable and had enough. View attachment 296454
Take a deep breath.
Take a break for a few days.
Think about the fact you have time.
Think about how unlikely the chances are you have this opportunity again.
...but don't wait too long, snow is coming...the longer hike will really suck then.

Take a deep breath.
Take a break for a few days.
Think about the fact you have time.
Think about how unlikely the chances are you have this opportunity again.
...but don't wait too long, snow is coming...the longer hike will really suck then.
I hate to admit this, but knowing what I know now, I should’ve just went with an outfitter and taken their horses in and stayed in a proper canvas tent camp. Would’ve been cheaper and more enjoyable.

In that regard, I’m blessed as I have a brother in Alaska so can use the first of kin benefit to goat hunt and have the means to do that in the future whenever I want really.

This started to really suck and briefly made me question hunting in general. If I have to suffer and work that much, it’s not worth it to me. In the end, we all hunt for fun really. None of us could ever come close to cost justifying it.

I hate to admit this, but knowing what I know now, I should’ve just went with an outfitter and taken their horses in and stayed in a proper canvas tent camp. Would’ve been cheaper and more enjoyable.

In that regard, I’m blessed as I have a brother in Alaska so can use the first of kin benefit to goat hunt and have the means to do that in the future whenever I want really.

This started to really suck and briefly made me question hunting in general. If I have to suffer and work that much, it’s not worth it to me. In the end, we all hunt for fun really. None of us could ever come close to cost justifying it.
I guess.
My biggest hunting regret was caving on my goat hunt. Hunted solo for weeks. F-ing grizzlies everywhere. Final day it was -20 at 10,000 ft. 6 miles back. Thigh deep snow on a slope capable of sliding. I shot the first goat I could get my sights on and packed it out that night. It was awful...
Now I feel like I gave up.
Never again....if I have the chance.

I guess.
My biggest hunting regret was caving on my goat hunt. Hunted solo for weeks. F-ing grizzlies everywhere. Final day it was -20 at 10,000 ft. 6 miles back. Thigh deep snow on a slope capable of sliding. I shot the first goat I could get my sights on and packed it out that night. It was awful...
Now I feel like I gave up.
Never again....if I have the chance.

Regret lasts longer than the pain…

There’s definitely good places to hunt goats up there without hiking all the way to the end of the road. It’s tough to climb all the way to the top and back down as a day trip, but if you already shanked the tent I’d say go for it. Snow is coming soon…

There’s definitely good places to hunt goats up there without hiking all the way to the end of the road. It’s tough to climb all the way to the top and back down as a day trip, but if you already shanked the tent I’d say go for it. Snow is coming soon…
I did both of these as day hikes. The longer one as you can see was 17.4 miles and 4-5k elevation. The other was nearly 15 miles and about 2500 feet but with about a 60 pound pack since that’s when I planned to camp. So for me, mentally, I’d rather go absolute balls out for a day and know I can get some sleep and rest versus stay up there. Those days are behind me. So if I have a free weekend, I’ll try once more to do another big day hunt but if I get snowed out before then, so be it. I’ll have no regrets knowing what I already went through.

We all have our own internal limitations, and I’ve come to accept mine.

Attachments

• IMG_0257.png
    IMG_0257.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0351.png
    IMG_0351.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 177
Wtf is going on with this thread? This is probably the most depressing goat thread I've ever seen. The struggle is real, lace them pricks up and get in there.

People walk 40 plus miles just to start their hint for dall sheep in AK. Then have to come back out.

Marshian,

Your MT Goat post reminds me why I produced a thread on this forum a few years back. Beating the odds and drawing any of the "Big Three" tags is very special. Unfortunately, there are those hunters that do not know what will be needed of them once the tag/permit is in their hands. Regarding your MT Goat hunt, drawing the tag is only the beginning of your adventure! From your posts, you are in good shape, can put on the miles but are uncomfortable in spending the night solo. So do you have any buddies that might want to experience the high country with you? "winmag" makes a great point, I'm sure that you can hire an Outfitter to take you and a buddy into the high country on a drop camp hunt. This would save you $$$ and you wouldn't have to try to kill yourself doing the day hunt thing from the bottom. When your body gets worn down the brain sometimes follows fairly quickly. It's much easier on both your body and brain if you start the day closer to goat elevation!

The bottom line, please do not give up on the hunt without actually laying eyes on at least one MT Goat! Most of the folks on this forum would love to have that tag burning a hole in their pocket, including myself! There are few "EASY" MT Goat hunts but as far as hunts go, the are none more grand.

I'm tagging @LopeHunter in this. Because a couple years back he did get dropped in a neighboring unit by horseback and picked up. I think it was in October at the time. Maybe he can shed some light on who he used to get in there. I'm pretty sure it was a outfitter from Big Timber.

Keep on fighting @Marshian there's a big ol billy with your name on it in there. If I had horses Id take you in there no question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back