Montana moose pics?

Great pictures. I sure do remember those shiras being bigger. Growing up in MT and seeing them occasionally I thought they were huge... They look like they're about two backpack loads less than the AK variety.

One of these years maybe I'll draw a tag and scratch a shiras off the list. Be pretty neat to hunt them in Montana, or ID.

While not a MT bull, it's cool so see moose pictures. I found a few live ones last weekend tucked away in an out of the way spot... couple more months and many I'll get lucky.

Here's an average AK bull. Probably a 5-6 yo, just over 50".

attachment.php

That picture just screams, "dayum, I've got a big job ahead of me". Congrats and condolences.

Almost makes me glad that Colorado has the 'small' Shiras moose.

Well done to all the guys and their moose. I used to enjoy seeing them while hunting other species. Was in on a couple of hunts, will try to dig some pics up.

I actually picked those up in late May, at pretty high elevation.

I figure the bull dropped them in December or January before the snow started in, and they stayed fresh packed under the snow. They're as fresh as paddles I've picked up I knew had only been dropped for a couple days.

Randy they are nice antlers, you think they are off two different bulls? Coronets and pedicles look quite different in size and first 8 inches of beams at bases are quite different. Great find nonetheless and certainly good to pick any decent antler up in the field.

Hopefully I can find a good one in October, if not it will still be a blast.

Like the pictures of those animals on the good tucker and even better with an attitude like that, it can only lead to success in the field. All the best for your hunt.

Here's my Montana Shiras bull.. 2007
IMG_1328.jpg

Awesome bull, can only be a huge effort to draw a shiras tag elsewhere and close the deal on an animal of similar standard. Put plenty of Canadian moose to shame thats for sure.

Last edited:
Randy they are nice antlers, you think they are off two different bulls? Coronets and pedicles look quite different in size and first 8 inches of beams at bases are quite different. Great find nonetheless and certainly good to pick any decent antler up in the field.

No doubt they're the same bull. They're sitting cockeyed in that picture, the base of the left side of the bull is sitting a couple inches closer to the camera. He isn't a very uniform bull, his points don't match up well, but I've seen a lot of bulls like this and Fatracks where they don't on Shiras.

Here's a picture with the bases side by side-

moose_zps789cba47.jpg

Also doesn't hurt how I found them-

image_zps073bcbb2.jpg

Here's another

Here's a pretty good Wyoming Shiras from 2011 that my buddy shot...

Attachments

• moose5.jpg
    moose5.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 858
  • moose6.jpg
    moose6.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 877
  • moose10.jpg
    moose10.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 907
  • Moose11.jpg
    Moose11.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 861
Here's a pretty good Wyoming Shiras from 2011 that my buddy shot...

Well, pretty good I would say is a vast understatement........that thing is a dream bull for anybody I know. Geezuz......that thing is just flat out awesome.

I've been out five nights and have only seen one spike bull so far......gets discouraging, but I know somewhere there are some around.....

Here's one my wife took a pic of a week ago him and 2 buddies could care less we snuck in to 15 yds

facebook_-48481366jpg.jpg

Hey spazz,

U have any pics of your moose mounted? Did you ever get it scored?

Stub,

You suck for posting that ;) I feel I have to come back to look at that thing daily now. By september I'm going to be drooling like a puppy over a steak:)

Nice moose everyone, getting me excited for my upcoming moose hunt. Greenhorn & Stubaby, those are the kind of moose dreams are made of. Hope I at least get a chance at one like those.

Bill

1998 ID Shiras

Here's a photo of my 1998 shiras moose from SE Idaho (Unit 71-2) and a photo of my buddies ID bull from unit 19A. Having moved from Idaho ten years ago (was smart enough to buy lifetime licenses for my wife and I), I now look forward to my wife drawing a tag.

Attachments

• 98 ID Moose-4.jpg
    98 ID Moose-4.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 677
  • kirschmoose.jpg
    kirschmoose.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 647
Back