Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana (Helena area) General Elk

MetalSpineGuy

Hello all. Wife and I have finally gotten all settled in with our move here in Helena after the transition from active duty for the wife. Ended up getting hernia surgery last month so Archery season isn’t going to happen for me this year.

However I am going to be going out during general season. It’s been 20 years since I have hunted up here.

I am wondering if anyone in or around Helena wouldn’t mind a broken vet tagging along during general elk. I’m far from picky as my freezer doesn’t care about horns. It only cares that it’s full. Would I like a “omg look at that thing” bull? Sure but I will honestly take what comes along to fill the freezer.

If anyone is willing let me know. Thanks in advance.

I don't think you will want to tag along with me, as I pack in for most of my hunts. However, that said you may want to take a look at the regs. There are a couple of districts around the Helena area that allow you to hunt cows and/or spikes on a general tag. Since the horns aren't a big deal to you, I would focus on those districts.

I get asked where to go around Helena all the time, and honestly you can't go wrong in the Helena area. Head into the hills and any direction and there are plenty of elk.

I don't think you will want to tag along with me, as I pack in for most of my hunts. However, that said you may want to take a look at the regs. There are a couple of districts around the Helena area that allow you to hunt cows and/or spikes on a general tag. Since the horns aren't a big deal to you, I would focus on those districts.

I get asked where to go around Helena all the time, and honestly you can't go wrong in the Helena area. Head into the hills and any direction and there are plenty of elk.

Yea I have been studying the regs and the maps. I am fully healed up and walking/ hiking isn’t a problem. PAcking of course would be a slight problem but nothing I can’t handle. My goal/ plan for now it to hunt 392 since that where I always hunted when I lived here 20 years ago and see what happens. If that doesn’t work out I will he’s doit towards silver city and see if I can’t get a spike.

Thanks for the response.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back