Montana General Tags

Bowhuntrben

I am considering different options for an elk hunt this next year. If I don't draw a limited tag, I still want to go hunting. In the past, I have hunted OTC archery in Colorado, but I am interested in possibly trying out Montana's general tags.
I found this page on the FWP website.
http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/nowAvailable.html
I was wondering if the "Combo Countdown" is really the number of tags left? When reading Huntin' Fool I was under the assumption that there were no surplus deer combination licenses usually (that it takes a couple years to draw one in some cases), yet the site shows there to be some left.
I would plan on buying the deer/elk combo and was just wondering what the likelihood of there being some left after the results of other states are out.
Also, what has been your experience with numbers of hunters during Montana's General rifle hunt as compared to Colorado's OTC rifle seasons?
I will likely have more questions once I do more research, but I wanted to post this before the season ends and the site might not show anything for leftover tags!

This is a really good question that id like to see some answers to. My parents just moved to Hamilton up there and as soon as they got settled they mailed me some regulations so i can get the run down of all the hunting oppurtunities there.

The last 2 years there have been leftover non-resident general tags. Here's the clincher...you must apply for limited entry tags by March 15 which is also the deadline to apply for general Big game license.

Bowhutrben,
If next year follows the same trend as the past two years, applying by March 15 will guarentee you a elk/deer combo license. The past two years you could buy leftover licenses right up to or even through the season.

I've never hunted CO in rifle season, but I've never had much problem getting away from hunters in Montana. The popular spots close to the road will get hit hard, but I rarely see other hunters in the woods.

If I was going to hunt the general MT elk seasons, I would focus on archery hunting. In much of the best MT elk range, many elk migrate to lower ground when hunting pressure and weather come in the later rifle seasons. Lower ground means private ground that usually has some access difficulties.

During archery season, the cows are still up high, thus so are the bulls. The higher country is mostly public and has very little access difficulty.

Personally, I think MT archery elk hunting is the best general/OTC elk tag in the country when considering the odds of an above average bull and the ease of drawing the tag. And, if not successful, you can come back in rifle season and try it then.

Good luck.

I've bowhunted both Co. on otc and Mt. on the general tag.Montana is my choice hands down for a great archery elk hunt with better odds at a giant.I'd highly recommend going back in Nov. for the muley rut hunt too.The price tag of the tag is well worth it imo.I plan to be there agan next year if wy. isn't nice to me

Just got my Montana hunting regs that my parents sent me. WOW those are alot different to read than the Arizona ones that im used to. Good thing ive got a few months to study them. Its alot of information to take in. If any of you Montanians have any good advice on units somewhat near Hamilton that would be great. Im not a trophy hunter and have absolutely no problems taking a doe at all.

Chucky,
Montana's website has a hunt planner ap that will answer a bunch of questions for you.

Montana is a great place to hunt, BUT, in the last 4 years success rates are down 30% to 40% in most units from the research that i have done, in 2008 i did a lot of research on MT, and have hunted it the last 4 years, rifle season, i kept all my notes from my 08 research, and compared it to the 2011 stats, success rates are down big time in almost every unit. I don't know if it because of the Wolves or what ?. but the numbers are right on the MT FWP site.
I am going to be looking into a different unit to see if that helps.

Kevin

don't get over whelmed by all the regs for all the units. pick the areas you are interested in and learn those.
As far as success rates, you have to consider the winters we had 3-5 years ago, compared to the past couple. Heavy early snow across MT, forcing game to get bunched up on winter range and late hunts contributed to "skewed" success rates.

Thanks for the help guys. I need to get a map and sit down and put pencil to paper and narrow everything i want down and work from there.
Thanks again guys.

Chucky,

PM me when you kind of get things narrowed down and I'll see if I can help you out.

Thank you for all the helpful information everybody! This will be very helpful in planning my future hunts! It sounds like a Montana archery elk hunt is a must!

Hey guys need some direction. Have not been to Montana for about 8 years – I have hunted near Ennis in the Gallatin, Lewis & Clark outside Lincoln and Tobacco Roots outside Alder. With all the wolves stories and the like not sure where to focus. For giggles I will put in for an archery draw don’t expect to hit so will be using my general tag for archery. Will be tenting and hoofing it on foot. Not looking for a trophy just want to spend a week walking through the woods and not having worry about wolves or grizz and have a good time. Suggestions of general areas appreciated.
RJ

if your worried about wolves and grizzlies, I'd stay clear of nw Montana, but to tell you the truth they leave you alone I've had a pack come in on me a few times, and didn't have a problem running them off. I did have a buddy get chased off of his elk by a pack of wolves, I've heard of a few other cases of that but havnt experienced that my self, I actually had them chase a heard of elk to me last year

Just got my Montana hunting regs that my parents sent me. WOW those are alot different to read than the Arizona ones that im used to. Good thing ive got a few months to study them. Its alot of information to take in. If any of you Montanians have any good advice on units somewhat near Hamilton that would be great. Im not a trophy hunter and have absolutely no problems taking a doe at all.

Chucky, the two most popular, areas with the highest elk populations in the Bitterroot, are permit only. You missed the drawing so your SOL there. You can mess around on the West side of the Root, which is tough sledding, or the east side, (most elk are on private) or head east to the Big Hole, Rock Creek, or upper Clark Fork. The elk herds in the best shape are in the last area I mentioned.

Mule Deer hunting is permit only in the Root, Big Hole has very few, so I"ll steer you east again for them. Whitetailed deer are available county wide everywhere on the general tag. They do however live in larger numbers on the private ground and not much is available to general use.

Back